Drosera identyfication

Shetanii

Hi, that sundews was growth in pot with utricularia, and I don't know what's that.

That sundews growth in hight humidity.

droseras.th.jpg

Flower

kwiatekdroseryniezinden.th.jpg

flower stalk - it's veeery long, it have a 27cm, but it have a much light, the spatulata who grow near that drosera have only 12cm flower stalk

76242350.th.jpg

with my spatulata

http://picasaweb.google.pl/Valakirika/Vent...674734161212210

sundew

idd.th.jpg

Edited by Shetanii

• 1 month later...

I am pretty certain it looks like D. dielsiana. Over time, D. dielsiana (and D. spatulata, for that matter) can form that "raised" growth pattern. However, the thick and tall flower stalk looks a lot like mine. If it received more light, it would develop a more definite leaf pattern, but I think it looks close enough to safely guess D. dielsiana.

Christian,

I have been very confused between D. dielsiana and D. natalensis.

I received some plants labeled as both varieties, but they are EXACTLY the same (see lower link).

I first saw what Dielsiana looked like on the ICPS website: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/...D_dielsiana.htm

BUT theirs doesn't look so great in the picture. Here is a pic of what all my Dielsiana look like:

http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/dielsiana.html

I have also noticed that D. natalensis "Debbert" looks very similar to Dielsiana, in the way the leaves tend to beome more circular towards the tip.

If his sundew is a D. natalensis, I would presume it would have to be the "Debbert" form, as the leaves have that similar pattern. The reason I suspect it's Dielsiana is that mine looked just like that before I fed them and gave them more intense lighting.

However, the stigmas on his flowers look very different from the styles on my Dielsiana as well as all the pictures of D. natalensis and Dielsiana on your site. This is what has made it a confusing case to me...

Hi,

i am with Khelljuhg! Based on the flower it cannot be D. spatulata or D. dielsiana. It most likely is D. natalensis. Btw, most of what we grow as D. dielsiana is most likely D. natalensis too.

Christian

Hi,

i have to admit, that my site is not really up to date. The plant that is shown there as D. dielsiana is what is grown from most as this species. In my opinion, this is just another form of D. natalensis. Thanks for pointing that out, i will update at least this.

I am not growing a plant, that i would call D. dielsiana D. dielsiana is described as having round seeds (like D. burmanni) and not divided styles (like most forms of D. spatulata for example). This is neither true for my plants, nor for most of what i have seen. True D. dielsiana seems to be extremly rare in cultivation. In contrast, D. natalensis does have simple divided styles and fusiform seeds. This fits to my plant as well as to the plant shown above. If you go further, there will also be D. venusta, which does have even more divided styles and yet "more fusiform" seeds.

Christian

Well in that case, I'll have to shake out a few seeds tonight and see what the shape is...

I'm assuming from your response that you'd classify my "D. dielsiana" as a form of Natalensis too?

This stuff is confusing...

Hi,

i have to admit, that my site is not really up to date. The plant that is shown there as D. dielsiana is what is grown from most as this species. In my opinion, this is just another form of D. natalensis. Thanks for pointing that out, i will update at least this.

I am not growing a plant, that i would call D. dielsiana D. dielsiana is described as having round seeds (like D. burmanni) and not divided styles (like most forms of D. spatulata for example). This is neither true for my plants, nor for most of what i have seen. True D. dielsiana seems to be extremly rare in cultivation. In contrast, D. natalensis does have simple divided styles and fusiform seeds. This fits to my plant as well as to the plant shown above. If you go further, there will also be D. venusta, which does have even more divided styles and yet "more fusiform" seeds.

Christian

• 2 weeks later...