Ceph field trip photos by request

wadave

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to post some photos from my latest field trip to see cephalotus in the wild, fingers crossed.

big1.jpg This one was around 6cm long and some of them were bigger...

clump1.jpg

clump2.jpg

clump3.jpg If you can imagine these thick clumps extending along a stretch of exposed land about 10m long and about 2m up the slope it might give you a taste of how big the colony was.

It's a pity I can't show you the video!

Dave.

Edited by wadave

Beautiful pictures wadave. It's always a real treat to see Cephalotus in their natural habitat. I'm extremely jealous of the fact that you are able to visit their habitat and I'm not.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for sharing your fantastic pictures.

I really like the flowerscapes!!

I can't believe it ,only 4 pictures on your camera? :biggrin:

Maybe a picture with a view of the whole area?

Thanks!

Iggy

th_4a.jpg

th_3a.jpg

Here are a few more photos I took last year, sadly these plants are no longer due to a landslide caused by seasonal storms.

I'm extremely jealous of the fact that you are able to visit their habitat and I'm not.

Isn't it funny that the things we can't have are the things we want the most. I'm always jealous of those who have sarra's in their back yard and neps just a short drive away.....

I can't believe it ,only 4 pictures on your camera?

Maybe a picture with a view of the whole area?

Hi Iggy, I've only got those 4 shots of clumps, the rest are closeups or were too blury to be worth keeping. Also, if anyone wanted to get a shot of the whole colony they would have to wade out into the estuary up to their armpits. These guys are growing only a few feet away from a salt water beach up on an eroded embankment.

Try www.rapidshare.com or similar.

Jimothy, I've only got the video on tape I'm afraid. I'm not digital yet.

Tom499 I'm not sure how fast these guys get to grow but I would certainly say the colony has been growing for as long as there have been cephs. Some of the traps I've seen there have been as big as 7cm long and that's with a partly closed lid!

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Dave.

fantastic Dave. Absolutely breathtaking. I would fall on my knees in delight if I see that wall of cephs. MAN! Just wonderful sight. :)

I really want to try to set up an artificial embankment to grow some of my Cephalotus on. I've been contemplating doing it for a while. I love the way the pitchers sit when on a slope. I just need to think of a method of holding the soil in such a way that it doesn't slump.

I really want to try to set up an artificial embankment to grow some of my Cephalotus on. I've been contemplating doing it for a while. I love the way the pitchers sit when on a slope. I just need to think of a method of holding the soil in such a way that it doesn't slump.

You'd have to use something like chicken wire or maybe better still plastic coated chain-link,the plants would grow under and around it.A very ambitious project,if you do decide to tackle it,be sure to take pictures from start to finish.I'm sure we'd all be interested to see how it goes.

You'd have to use something like chicken wire or maybe better still plastic coated chain-link,the plants would grow under and around it.A very ambitious project,if you do decide to tackle it,be sure to take pictures from start to finish.I'm sure we'd all be interested to see how it goes.

Probably be better with course peat too as normal milled would fall through holes. There's still a few peat companies up here, I'll maybe visit one and see if I can get un-milled. Maybe a summer project for me - hopefully Carni-flora will be shipping Cephalotus this year so I will be able to obtain a few to try with.