Okay Fall What To Do For Winter ?

jm82792

Okay I have a few sarracenia outsaide with dionea and drosera.

I am in zone 7-6 and the bog garden is shallow so I can't leave it oustide I think so should I put the dionea and sarracenia under a 4 foot shoplight at a winter photoperiode in the garage that should not get that cold since it is made from thick wood but it is not heated. I am hoping that it will be warm enough to keep my drosera,sarracenia and dionea happy.

Anythoughts or advice ?

JM

Trust me, leave them outside. You have only lived in Oregon for a short while. I have been growing in Oregon for 15 years ( and have lived here for 42) you live in a very mild climate (southern Oregon coast) which very rarely gets frost. If you look at an USDA plantring zone it shows you to live in zone 9 not 6 - 7. I live further east then you (Willamette valley) and never do anything special with my plants (vft's even keep there leaves). That being said, this is supposed to be a little colder then nomal due to la nina. In your case, being closer to the coast, you will probably have to do nothing where I will have to but them in the garage for a couple of days if it gets really cold. Most winters I keep my plants outside the whole winter with no ill effects. :woot:

Edited by jrl1265

• 3 weeks later...
JM

Trust me, leave them outside. You have only lived in Oregon for a short while. I have been growing in Oregon for 15 years ( and have lived here for 42) you live in a very mild climate (southern Oregon coast) which very rarely gets frost. If you look at an USDA plantring zone it shows you to live in zone 9 not 6 - 7. I live further east then you (Willamette valley) and never do anything special with my plants (vft's even keep there leaves). That being said, this is supposed to be a little colder then nomal due to la nina. In your case, being closer to the coast, you will probably have to do nothing where I will have to but them in the garage for a couple of days if it gets really cold. Most winters I keep my plants outside the whole winter with no ill effects. :wink:

Okay,I have them in a shed the shed has a double pane sky light so I think it will work.

I am hoping someday to get a large bog setup then build a pole grenhouse above it who knows.

What has kept me from buying sarracenia is the fear of them croaking from frosts but now I am

get some more from cooks. I have never grown cps in a real winter before since I got into cps in hawaii.

Well thanks for the reply and I hope to someday do a trade or buy sometime :D

• 10 months later...

What about vft's ? I have all sizes of flytraps, from little seedlings to mature plants. Some are outside, the smaller ones are on a windowsill. Should i put them all in dormancy no matter size ? I thought i would keep the seedlings and 1-2 cm plants under artificial light inside the house trough the winter. Or does vft require dormancy no matter what ?

Edited by Petr D.