Utricularia jamesoniana, first pics of flower

Hi all,

I wanted to share an image of a beautiful little gem from the highland forests of Colombia. A special thanks to Sebastian Vieira who made a few plants available to some growers.

Together with U. asplundii it is one of my favorites!

Ujamesonianapublizieren2.jpg

Hope you enjoy it!

Stefan

Congratulation to your great success, Stefan! The flower looks very nice - quite similar to asplundii. But the plant seems to have a different grow and flower cycle than asplundii, the latter blooming mostly in colder months, I think. Nice pictures, too!

Hi all,

thank you for your compliments and thanks again to Sebastian Vieira, who managed to collect and distribute this species. Please read also his interesting article on the collection trip on his homepage.

Cultivation: I obtained a pot with two or three growth spots earlier this year in May or June. I repotted the plantlets pulling away as much moss as I could do with tweezers because I had the impression that some weedy Colombian moss was to overgrow the plantlets. Then I potted one part in pure peat, another one in pure Chile sphagnum in a small pot. Cultivation in my warmhouse with dropping night temps during the summer with a bit of shading. That was all, the plants grew well and the plant in peat sent up two flower scapes in August. Today I was able to pollinate the first flower and could see a large amount of pollen produced. So seed production should occur soon.

Hope this helps

Stefan