D. Regia question

Gekon

Hi everyone :)

In a couple of days days I will buy a D. Regia. But the problem is- the weather... its starting to get warmer and more sunny in Manchester. However, its still a bit cold over night and in the mornings. Therefore, Im wondering if its ok to put her outside despite the weather or put her in terrarium just in case?

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

D. regia's natural habitat is the Baines Kloof pass in South Africa. During the Winter months temps. can drop to about 5°C...

check out these growing guides too: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/GrowingGuides/D_regia.php

I think that as well. I would put them outside stright away but the mornings and night are still very cold so I don't want to risk that ;) Thats why I'll wait untill next month :)

Just one more question. My plants are going to be 8 cm long on arrival. What pot size is the best to put them in? I know they can have a very long roots.

Edited by Gekon

I put mine out last week- living dangerously! They're fine so far, though. I'm just keeping an eye out for frosts. Mine haven't been kept warm through winter though, so they're pretty accustomed to ~5/6C lows.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful about the terrarium I killed my first regia that way. In my experience they like lower humidity and cooler temps I grow mine on a windowsill all year I feed it as regularly as I can with small flies and it catches a few moths and the odd fly. (not many insects inside my house) I grew my current plant from seed. Its got 15 cm long leaves and is in a 15 cm pot. Roots are starting to show at the bottom of the pot. Good luck with your plant.

Well Im not sure I know they are prone to rotting if they get too wet and if the humidity is too high, air movement is important. They can take reasonably cold conditions Dunedin gets pretty cold in the winter getting down to near zero some nights even inside the house in unheated rooms. I was growing my current plant in the kitchen and the leaves were not growing very erect so I moved it to a windowsill with lower humidity and its leaves are growing more erectly less limp if that makes sense? As Spring in the UK gets warmer I would move it out of the terrarium if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Damien,

Don't give up! They are not the easiest kinds of plants to grow.

Maybe come at it a different way, visit a natural location or visit with some one who's been growing for while and see how they're doing things.