Username

So I have two sarracenia that I'm keeping outside:

S. Stevensii

S. oreophila x purpurea

I've grown them outside since I got them in May, and in October I removed their water trays for dormancy and otherwise left them there near a low wall.

As I imagine most of you know, temperature-wise we've had a really mild winter. Aside from frost a couple of weeks ago I think, it's not dipped below 0. I went to check on my plants today, and while all the pitchers have actually begun to die back now there's still a lot of colour there from ones that haven't died fully back. Also, there are a lot of holes from something munching on them! I remember reading some time back, years ago back when I got my first one, that you're meant to trim them back when they start to die.

Should I move them away so the munching thing can't get them? And should I trim them all down to the base?

Thanks!

Edited by Username

We've all got differing methods, generally based around how large a collection we have and how much free time we get.

Personally I only remove the brown stuff on my sarras and the black stuff on my vft's.

My sarras are also getting munched, usually caterpillar or slugs / snails to blame. I'll get rid of any critters that I happen across at this time of year but I don't stress too much as it's generally old leaves that are being eaten. It's a different matter come spring though, the night time slug hunts recommence and the plants receive their regular grooming !.

Cheers blocky

• 4 months later...

It is all a matter of preference/perception. 

Some people almost shave them and trim everything but the traps. 

personally I leave the foliage if it is green. I cut the dead growth whenever I feel inclined to. way i see it is if I remove a green/non-trap leaf now the plant cannot produce as much energy as it did before I cut it and has to spend more energy to replace it with a new leaf. 

In my experience leaving the foliage works best for me. Again may just be a matter of perception but it seems like they make better growth and bigger traps for me when I leave them alone. Nothing brings a smile like that spring time mega trap that the plant makes.  

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

it is also a good practice to trim dead growth to cut back on mold/fungi growth probability by removing food and increasing airflow. 

Edited by cpbobby

good point cpbobby! I do the same, and i am at war with slugs also. Esp in the spring they love to eat my plants.
Even the tiny ones. I had a small one that was trapped in a vft, that ate his way out!
I trim back all the dead leaves bcs they dont benefit the plant and mold can grow on it. Also when you trim them back, they will receive more light / air flow, which will benefit the good leaves imo. But I always leave everything that's still green.

far as a visual representation in regards to removing dead foliage here is a link that should demonstrate the point and what I personally prefer to practice.  

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/58655-should-i-divide-the-titan/#comment-390318

Edited by cpbobby