D.trinervia/ Afra

Hello to all,

Nigel reminded me I'd promised to post some mroe pics from S.Africa. I've still got loads more to post here, some day... :)

So here's the large D.trinervia from the Cederberg Mts, a few hours N of Cape Town. It forms large rosettes with long leaves and the flowers are usually pink-lilac, although there are also some white ones. They grow very abundantly all over, together with other CPs such as D.cistiflora var.'Eitz', D.alba, U.bisquamata, & Roridula dentata. Debbert has published this form as D.afra.

Here's a view of part of the area we hiked around:

Cederberg15.jpg

They were everywhere!

DafraCederberg17.jpg

Sometimes the rosettes were a deep wine red (pics by Andreas F.):

DafraCederbergAndreas37.jpg

DafraCederbergAndreas36.jpg

And sometimes greener:

DafraCederberg14.jpg

Here's a really large one (pic by Andreas F.):

DafraCederbergAndreas42.jpg

Here are some pink ones (right) near some white ones (left):

DafraCederberg12.jpg

Flowers were very variable in color & shape of petals and in color/ shape of styles (2nd pic by Andreas F.):

DafraCederberg04.jpg

DafraCederbergAndreas24.jpg

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

Hello Daniel,

It's a big D.trinervia with (usually) pink flowers. And there was something about the styles or seeds that was different, I don't remember. It is really very different from regular D.trinervia.... but it's a bit difficult to deal with the intermediate plants. I'm not sure if this is a good species or not.

Best Wishes, Fernando Rivadavia

What a wonderful early Christmas present it is to see these habitat shots. I'm hoping my D. afra flowers this year, and is the same colour as the dark flowered form which is quite stunning.

Thanks again Fernando and like many wait in eager anticipation for the next instalment!

Nigel H-C

Hey Fernando,

It's great to see some of my photos here as well ;) This saves me from the work of sorting out a "best of" selection and posting it here ;)

I'm awefully sorry, but could you please remove the pollinator snap-shot again? Not that I wanted to prevent you from seeing it. I was just writing a little article on South African Drosera pollination (mainly on members of the D. cisitflora complex) for a South African journal of plant ecology. Fernando, I'll send you the manuscript as soon as I have finished it, as you're co-author ;). But this journal demands the guarantee that all photos published there are exclusively published in their issue. I hope you can all understand, we can provide reprints of the article (with loads of aditional information) later on.

Daniel, the degree of style divisions and the size and shape of the leaves (longer petiole in D. afra) were Debbert's main reasons to seperate this plant as a different species. He claimes stipules for D. afra, too, but this is a hoax!

All the best,

Andreas

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cristianoblank

Tanks... ferndando for sharing photos of this so interesting place...

I have a doubt in second, fifth and seventh image... the place was always dry, or at times of the year he is humid or flooded?

Olá Cristiano!

This region of S.Africa gets rain in the winter and is extremely dry in the summer. D.trinervia & several other species go dormant in spring and then regrow from the roots in the fall.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia