more sundew species introduced in TC

dudo klasovity

Hi!

Few weeks ago I put explants and sowed some seeds of rarer sundews on various TC media. Most of the seeds were not very cheap and it is always a dilema for me whether to sow them on reliable but painfully slow regular substrate or take a risk with possibly wrong media or contamination and watch it rot or die.... This time (as usual) my impatience prevailed :pleasantry: So I post some pictures of germinating plants and some bigger plants:

d.ascendens 'Serra de Ponta Grossa, Campo Largo, Parana,Brasil'

dascendensSerradePontaGrossaCampoLa.jpg

d.ascendens 'Itarare,Sao Paulo,Brasil'

DSCF0002.jpg

d.villosa 'Serra do Itipiboca,MG,Brasil'

dvillosaSerradoibitipocaMGBRA.jpg

d.neocaledonica

dneocaledonica.jpg

d.tomentosa var. glabrata 'Serra do Caraca,MG,Brasil'

DSCF0004-4.jpg

d.rotundifolia

drotundifolia.jpg

d.anglica on NAA medium

danglica-1.jpg

d.moorei

dmoorei.jpg

d.sp.Lantau Island

dspLantauIsland.jpg

d.broomensis x ordensis

dbroomensisxordensis.jpg

d.ordensis 'Lake Argyle,Kimberley,AU'

dordensisLakeArgyleKimberleyAU.jpg

d.roraimae 'Ptari Tepui,Venezuela'

droraimaePtariTepuiVEN.jpg

d.hirtella var. lutescens 'Cristalina,Goias State,Brasil'

dhirtellavarlutescensCristalinaGSBR.jpg

Hi!

Thanx for the compliments. My jars are going through hot spell now temps outside reach 33C and since my room is south-oriented, the temps inside are 27-30C under the lights. They have been like that for some time with no visible harm, except for some species slow down the growth a bit. So the temperature is not that big of an issue here. Of cource, these temperatures cannot be used in a long run. Especially seedlings are sensitive to overheating, but far not as much as in regular substrate.

Nice cultures, congrats!.

How do you manage to clean the seeds and transfer them to media?, I mean they are seeds of less than 2mm, do you transfer them to media(from the flasks containing bleach/water solution)only by using tweezers?

Cheers

Hi, cosmo!

Tweezers? Oh, no for God's sake! :suicide: When the mean number of seeds is usually 20-200 seeds per jar....After sterilization and washing with sterilized water in a small beaker, I let them settle to the bottom. The 'unsinkable seeds' (what i like to call them) which stay afloat are usually not viable anyways, so I just use plastic Eppendorf micropipette to suck the settled seeds and water in, then just sguirt the contents of eppendorf in a jar with media and then carefully remove the excess water (again, using eppendorf pipette). Takes about a minute of your life:-) Done :dance: