Newbie advice and hello

Ashesblues

Hi. This year I have decided to grow some carnivorous plants. I have experience in other types of indoor plant growing and I still have all the gear! 

I am about to plant some seeds and I still have some rock wool pellets. I intend to plant the seedlings in CVP substrate, likely soil based once they are ready. I wonder if anyone could please point me in the direction of any known useful discussion of this hard to define subject? 

many thanks in advance and best wishes to all

ashesblues

E3A4ADAF-D820-4212-9EFE-A9E6A5FA1475.jpeg

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Hardly any CPs grow in normal soil substrate. The mixture you'll need does depend on the seeds you're trying to germinate. Sarracenia, for instance, grow well in a peat/perlite mix with maybe some sand. Peat-free mixtures are also available. They do, however, require a period of cold stratification in order to germinate successfully. Some drosera seeds won't need this cold treatment. If you tell us what you're trying to grow we can help you a bit more.

• Thanks 1

Hi Linuxman and thanks for your time. The seeds I have now are Dionaea Muscipul apparently. I have ordered some other types but I think I will try these first unless you have any recommendations and maybe a link to any online shop I can acquire them from. 

thanks 

ash

You have to be a little careful with seeds, especially from ebay, as they can be erroneously labelled! You're probably safer to wait for some to be advertised on the sales section of the forum (you'll have access to this page after a month's membership). Sorry, I can't recommend any online sellers - anyone else know any good ones?

Good luck with the vft seeds which are quite easy to germinate but will take a few years to reach maturity.

• Thanks 1

Try Hampshire Carnivorous Plants. They are very good, I have bought more than a few plants from them and they have been very good quality. They also sell seeds, I haven’t had much luck growing any but that’s more down to me not having a clue what I’m doing, than the quality of the seed’s.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Like soil without peat moss, sand etc. The reason that I am asking is because I grow a lot of carnivorous plants and I thought it would a cool idea to plant some Droseras in clayey rocky soil outside my place. Not much grows in that soil except some moss, Lantana and different kinds of grasses.

• 1 month later...

Greetings all! I know how understudies endure while composing a paper and some other composed work, since it requires a ton of investment. To that end I generally go to the professional proofreading service for help. It saves personal time and I additionally have astounding scholastic execution at the University of Florida. Composed work is dependably on time and without literary theft

Edited by jimmyhendrics