Ideal substrate for Mexican Pinguicula and their hybrids

Jim -

The popular brand is Schultz APS. I picked up a bag, whose brand name I have forgotten, from a local greenhouse. It is definitely clayey. I'm not sure that it is any better or worse than the combinations I have used, such as perlite / egg shells / crushed coral.

This idea of ​​using eggshell to alkalize substrate Pings is genius. As for the crushed coral, here in Brazil there is an alternative to it and is nothing more than aragonite.

Ruben -

by the way Rodrigo, Here where I live in El Salvador I can't find pure peat moss, so I use peat with fertilizer ingredient, and my pings really like it, you can use it.

:Laie_97:

Interesting information, thank you for the tip.

Is the following friends, based on the information that I provided I rode a substrate prepared with river gravel, sand, vermiculite, and expanded clay. The result you see below:

P6180023640x454_zps62faae0f.jpg

For testing purposes i planted a clone arising from a leaf plucked off from my P. 'Aphrodite' and, if it adapt well to the new substrate i will do other tests with other clones of Pings that i generated. I intend to use in the future, in addition to the minerals listed above, perlite, dolomite and zeolite

Best regards,

Rodrigo

19Silverman93 - The use of limestone is something that needs to be reconsidered by the mere fact of having an easier time getting the dolomite. As this mineral has lime in its composition, i believe it to be an excellent substitute. In any case, thanks for the tip.

To be honest, I used the limestone because I live pretty close to a huge limestone quarry so for me it's no trouble to have a poke round and collect some chunks and a small bag of the grit. obviously not everyone has a quarry on their doorstep though :laugh:

19silverman93 -

To be honest, I used the limestone because I live pretty close to a huge limestone quarry so for me it's no trouble to have a poke round and collect some chunks and a small bag of the grit. obviously not everyone has a quarry on their doorstep though :laugh:

In this case we are two lucky friend, because my house is 600 meters from a hill composed of Kaolin can i collect to use the mineral substrate of my Mexican Pings.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

• 1 month later...

Friends, after more than sixty days after my last post, see how fares the changes, clone leaf cutting, my P. 'Aphrodite':

Photo 1 - Top view

P8080037640x539_zps4d2d02ea.jpg?t=1375984748

Photo 2 - Front view

P8080039640x446_zps2e03957c.jpg?t=1375984807

In the second picture you can see that this Pinguicula splitting into two plants, which I believe is a sign that she has adapted to the new substrate.

Any comment will be very well-liked.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

• 4 weeks later...

Follows an update:

P. 'Aphrodite' - Clones

P9150062640x372_zpsaf3fb172.jpg

As you can see the development is slow, but in return the plant was divided into two and both seem to have great health so that only proves that this substrate is effective in cultivating this genus of CP :jive: .

P. 'Aphrodite' - larger photo

P9150063640x480_zps03b1eb53.jpg

In this photo we can see the appetite of these plants with some prey captured. Incidentally, all my Pinguicula these there appear to suffer "eternal hunger" because they live full of mosquitoes trapped in their leaves :shock: .

Best regards,

Rodrigo