Will basals be infected?

SamInLondon

I'm still having some problems with a hybrid - N. ventricosa x (dubia x singala) - that seems to be infected with some kind of virus, which gives it bright purples blotches along the midrib. (I posted pictures a while back.)

The plant has now sent up two basals. If I separated these off, is it likely that they would also be infected? I'm guessing that if the disease is systemic, they would also eventually show the same symptoms, but can anyone confirm?

Two basal shoots will generaly indicate a healthy root system...give it a provado spray and let the plant grow out the problem...basals in effect are from the main stem and would have to be treated as cuttings. let it vine then take cuttings and change its disposition. the idea of turning the pot on its side may give extra basals to play with but I have not experimented with this yet...good luck Sam!

Hi Sam,

I don't think its viral, just a nasty fungal problem........it's rife this year!

the bassals are best left attached, just continue a light misting with the systemic fungicide every 14 days and it will hopefully grow out of it.

Regardless of the infection type, the basals might not yet be infected. The longer they stay on the plant the more likely they will be infected though...

Take the cuttings, keep them separated from each other and your other plants. Watch, wait and see what happens...