Ivan Snyder's Plants

1735684423_f53d73014f.jpg

Lunch?

That's DJ and Fae Rae with Ivan's flytrap clone from Hosford, FL

1736471732_fe0efe664f.jpg

More _Dionaea_ from Hosford, FL

1736470616_88c7a4ac8e.jpg

Ivan requested that I put a photo of his _Darlingtonia_ 'Othello' seedling online to awe Barry and generally disrupt cardiopulmonary activity among fellow phytocarnivorologists.

1736471084_979de590f7.jpg

Soon-to-be-registered _Drosera_ 'Ivan's Paddle'

1735617329_2f60a78085.jpg

All photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/byblis/

Man i need to get to an LACPS meeting!

when's the next one?

great plants, and my cardio was dusrupted, thank you very much! :wink:

This plant - the paddle - is sending up a flower scape. Is it self-fertile? I have seen it produce plantlets, but can I get seeds?

IMG_0205.jpg

Edited by jimscott

Thanks, guys. For the record, I've been alerted that the original posting contains an egregious typo: Faye Wray's name is misspelled!

Jim,

'Ivan's Paddle' is indeed self-fertile, but just barely. Don't expect to flood the world with seeds.

Guest Ivan Snyder

Thanks Forbes, great photography. Hey Jim, glad to see Ivan's Paddle in NY. The plant is fertile yet makes few good seed, and even the good seed does not usually produce a good plant. I have continued breeding the plant and have since improved fertility beyond your first generation plant. Still it is best to reproduce from leaf cuttings and save the seed only for selecting your own new clone variants.

The Darlingtonia 'Othello' seedling is less than a year old yet has adult form pitchers!

Cheers,

Ivan

This is an honor! The plant was sent to me a year ago, by a Californian teen named Peter (rubra or rubrarubra forum name). No flattery intended, but this is quite a handsome sundew! Do you think that this approach would work for a leaf cutting?

IMG_0014.jpg

Jim,

I think Ivan usually propagates them on sphagnum. I tend to put D. x obovata cuttings on sphagnum peat, but have floated them in water too. The new plantlets usually develop faster in terrestrial environs.

• 2 weeks later...