Recommended anti-nematode / fungicides for Pings ?

AdamH

Hi,

Does anyone know of any anti-nematode (nematicide) or fungicide products that are compatible with Pinguicula, and could for example be mixed in with the soil mix during preparation to aid at least as a preventative measure against "Browning Heat Disease" (Fusarium or related fungus + nematode damage)?

I have had a few problems with this during the autumn and winter, mainly in plants which were purchased already growing in a "standard CP mix" containing a large proportion of peat, and they have succumbed before I could repot them into my standard open free-draining Ping mix (which I was intending to do in spring - I guess I should have repotted them sooner). I have kept most of my Pings just damp to bone dry (depending on species), but have still lost a few (mainly P. 'Tina', but a few others too), which is extremely annoying as my CP collection is at a low ebb anyway and I hope to start rebuilding it in 2007 (concentrating on Pinguicula).

And before anyone mentions it, growing warm and wet under lights is not an option for me (too expensive!). I grow the plants in natural light, at the moment indoors on an East-facing windowsill (until I can set up my greenhouse in spring as a specialized Ping grow-area).

So any ideas on the above (in particular any helpful anti-Fusarium and / or nematicide) to help as a preventative would be very welcome.

Many thanks...

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for the reply and pointer: from searching via Google for Fusarium and Trichoderma, I found a few links suggesting that the latter can indeed be effective against the former, e.g.:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/p6518t3268v4012j/

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:dQoX3...t=clnk&cd=3

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:7dCst...t=clnk&cd=4

:

etc

So it looks like a dose of Trichoderma for the Pings in future!

Will Trichoderma colonize and live successfully in the very open / loose mainly mineral-based Ping mix that I use? It consists of 6 parts Seramis, 2 parts Perlite, 2 parts Vermiculite and 1 part "Soil" (where the "Soil" component is: 2 parts John Innes Number 2 loam, 1 part Moss Peat, 1 part Fine-Grade Orchid Bark [steralized pine bark + charcoal] and 1 part Sharp Sand [or Silver/Silica Sand]). I usually add a handful of powdered lime to this, at least for calcium-loving species + hybrids.

Thanks again Stephen. :tu:

Any suggestions now of suitable Pinguicula-compatible nematicides (anti-nematode products)? I guess though that if I can combat the Fusarium (Crown-Rot Fungus), the nematodes can be left in peace? It's always useful though to know of extra defence options, if required! Thanks. :D

CPN Vol 34, No 1 March 2005 includes the article 'Disease Symptoms in Pinguicula: Some Causes and Remedies'

Relevant passages:

Most nematicides greatly reduce nematode colonies but never eradicate them so that within three weeks after treatment, their ranks regrow.

Referring to nematode and subsequent Fusarium infection:

Our only success in saving infected plants has been obtained after moving the affected plants to a separate shade house to improve ventilation. The plants were kept totally dry and after several weeks, new growing points could be seen at the base of the petioles (like in leaf currings) and at the centre of the sick rosette.

Thanks Aidan - I had completely forgotten about that article!

It looks as though the only really useful application of a nematicide would be as a temporary preventative measure - for example, if signs of Fusarium infection appear in one plant in a collection, it could be applied throughout the entire collection (along with Trichoderma), to help the infection from spreading further. Now all I'll need to do is trial some nematicides later in spring / summer on some spare plants (I doubt any have been used much on Pinguicula).

As for saving plants already infected, I guess there are only 2 options: try to take leaf cuttings, using just healthy portions to leaves (usually the tip of the leaf, as Brown Heart Disease spreads from the centre outwards) - making sure no infected portion is used - or following the suggestions in the CPN article you mentioned (i.e. moving infected plants to a shaded, ventilated "quarantine area", keeping them completely dry). Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about the second method, as in my experience Brown Heart Rot spreads so quickly that an infected plant can be dead within a few days of the infection first becoming evident. The CPN article refers to a trial in Australia (if I recall correctly) - in that climate, suitably quarantined infected plants may dry out quickly, but I doubt this would be the case in the UK (except during a hot dry summer heatwave). I suppost is may just work if you catch the infection very early, when the first slight symptoms appear.

Anyway, I guess the use of Trichoderma as a preventative measure (mixed in with the Ping substrate and / or administered via watering) is certainly worth investigating. Now I'm off to find the best source of Trichoderma in the UK...

Many thanks again for the help and information! :tu::D

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about the second method, as in my experience Brown Heart Rot spreads so quickly that an infected plant can be dead within a few days of the infection first becoming evident.

I agree completely and like you lost several plants in the same manner this year. By the time it's noticed, it's way too late to dry the plant or take cuttings.

Concerning nematicides for use on Pinguicula. Trichoderma harzianum has an effect of using chitin as a food source. Nematode cuticula and egg shells are said to be composed mainly of chitin and the fungus attacks it in several ways. The hypothesis, then being, that the beneficial fungus can be effectively, a nematode deterrent.

Thanks for the comments Aidan + Joseph.

Well, it looks as if Trichoderma is definately the way to go - a nematode and Fusarium fungus deterrant all in one, and a biological one as well! Useful as a preventative at least.

I'll order some on Tuesday, and hopefully will revisit this topic with my findings in due course.

Thanks again for all the information and help.

P.S.: *** HAPPY NEW YEAR! ***

• 2 months later...

are you sure that is nematode ?have you seen this insect?

in my home it is sciarides ( fly and grub)

for the fly i use a yellow sticky paper for the grub thuringe bacil .

this insect( grub) ,in 2 day, eat all the juvenil plants and the seedling .

excuse my bad english

jeff