Late season flower

Bob H

My new S.leuco. has a flower bud forming, is this too late to leave it? Should it be removed? It would be nice to see it open but, if it means weakening the plant at all, I'd rather remove it.

:twisted:

I asked this question back in april (I think), and the general awnser was that you can leave them on. It depends how big the plant is, you won't do any harm if you remove the flower, but maybe if it is young and is a division form this year it might be best. I love to see them and had a nice suprise last month when I found an S. minor had a lovely flower it had put up only about 15cm's tall right at the back of the greenhouse.

Regards

Alex :twisted:

Guest Aidan

I have a number of plants still producing buds and flowers. Flowers this late in the season may or may not open and are unlikely to set seed. However, flowering will do the plant no harm and if you like to see them leave them... I do.

And just to add, very occasionally some plants will send up flowers as late as September. They don't make a lot of height and one must be vigilant when checking those in the darker evenings..

It seems that this warm spell must have triggered our plants to start flowering again! ALL of my various purpurea ssp purpurea plants outdoors have started budding. I have removed all of them to conserve the plants energy.