Found cp's in a park near me - Pictures

elgecko

I have been going to Pine Grove Furnace for years. It's about an hour and a half away from me and usually get there once a year. We did not got up here last year.

My wife and I planned to go earlier in the summer but the plans always fell through. We finally got there today. We did not have any problems getting a good picnic table.

We headed out for a bike ride after we arrived. I know I have seen several spots that have good potential for CP's, if they are growing in the area.

While riding I saw a spot and took a quick 5 minute look, as the wife kept riding ahead. What caught my eye.... A SUNDEW. I had found Drosera rotundifolia in a park I've been coming to since I was little.

I was not able to look around to see if I could find any other CP's, that will be another trip when the wife stays at the picnic table reading a book. ;)

Here are some shots of the Drosera rotundifolia.

133DSC03540.jpg

133DSC03541.jpg

And a few other shots of the lake and our hike up to the lookout at Pole Steeple Trail.

133pond.jpg

133frog.jpg

133outcropping.jpg

It's hard to see her, but my wife is sitting on the outcropping.

133lake.jpg

A beautiful landscape along with some good looking and very green plants. Were they growing in a shaded area?

It's always the same, we rarely think of looking in the places that are close to home. :lol:

What's the species of that fern on the left of the first picture? I went on a hike in the Flatirons a week ago and saw tonnes of them. I didn't know they could grow in such high cold areas.

It's a very nice park. Very green and I love how there are trees all over the rocks.

Glad you like the pics.

The plants were somewhat shaded.

The park took its name from the Pine Grove Iron Furnace, the remains of which still stand. The furnace dates back to 1764 and for over 100 years manufactured cast iron products including: 10 plate stoves, fireplace backs, iron kettles and military supplies. Slate and brick works were also located in the area in the late 1800's. Other buildings dating back to the charcoal iron community still stand and include the ironmaster's mansion, clerks office, stable, grist mill (now the Visitor Center), the inn (now the park office) and several residences. Remnants of raceways, charcoal hearths and related man-made features are still discernible.

Fuller Lake was the major ore quarry from which iron ore was mined for Pine Grove Furnace. The quarry filled with groundwater when mining ceased. Laurel Lake once supplied water power to Laurel Forge. Laurel Forge reheated and hammered the cast iron ingots from Pine Grove Furnace to produce wrought iron, a product that could be bent in many shapes.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/par...ovefurnace.aspx

I'm not sure what kind of fern that is but they seem to grow everywhere.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...