Next generation is starting

Marcus Vieweg

Hi guys,

after some weeks I want to show how the seeds I sowed of interesting Pinguicula-species look like.

Some of you told me that they had problems with germination of Pinguicula-seeds in general, so I want to show you that it isn't the problem to get plantlets, but it's really hard to grow them to adult plants.

The pictures are not very good cause I haven't got much time at home at the moment, so only some snapshots. I hope they will do.

So here we are:

IMG_1698.jpg

P. hirtiflora {Kelcyre, Albania} is germinating to nearly hundred percent.

IMG_1700.jpg

P. parvifolia hasn't such a high rate, but it's OK and I'm very happy with it.

IMG_1705.jpg

P. chilensis is also doing very good ;)

At the moment some other species do very well for me too:

P. chuquisacensis

P. lilacina

P. rotundiflora

P. martinezii

P. orchidioides

P. sharpii and some more...

So as you see also seeds of very hard to grow Pinguicula or more or less delicate species are germinating well for me.

BUT one thing I have to say. I don't know why, but most of the seeds thats are send from other growers to me don't germinate. I don't know why and it drives me crazy...

If anybody of you got seeds from me, please can you give a feedback if they germinated or not?

Kind Regards

Marcus

• Like 1

Hello Marcus,

Storage is a great matter for Pinguicula seeds. I know some people are keeping them in a fridge as done in laboratory conditions for Arabidopsis. However, in research labs we are rather keeping them at 15°C now (at least in France) because germination rate is then much higher.

I personnally think it is better to store Pinguicula seeds at room temperature. I only get a small decrease in germination rate after one year of storage like that (it was not the case when I stored them in the fridge, but it was a long time ago). But more than one year storage and this rate will drop. So I'm always sowing seeds as soon as possible.

I did not have any particular problems with germinating your seeds as far as I can remember. But I agree, this is not the case for seeds from other sources.

Did you have any bad issue with my seeds? I know that some people did not get my Pinguicula crenatiloba seeds to germinate, but this one is a very tricky plant to germinate (however quite simple to cultivate!).

Regards

Edited by kisscool_38

Hi Aymeric,

it's very interesting that you keep the seeds at room temperature, maybe I'll try this and draw my own conclusions.

I don't remember what seeds I got from you, except the P. crenatiloba wich I've sowed at the same time like the ones above. Up to know I havne't recognized any germination, but I hope for it ;)

Is there anybody else who has bought or swaped seeds with me?

Kind Regards

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

we swapped some seed, P. chilensis germinated in good quantity.

Meanwhile i have 5 small and 5 nearly adult plants.

In the past i received also P. chilensis seed from other sources but i hadn´t been successful with the seed.

About storing seed in the fridge, in the case of north american Pinguicula it works very good; the germination rate is still high after 2-3 years, an exeptional case is P. planifolia.

About 4-5 years ago i lost my P. sharpii and i had totally forgotten that i collected seed of my plants, they have been all the time in the fridge; about half a year ago i recovered the seed and of course i tried it, the germination rate was still very high.

Best regards,

Dani

Hi Daniel,

thats nice to hear ;) I myself keep my seeds always in the fridge, if this is best I don't know... After 1 year P. lusitanica is germinating willingly for me...

@Fernando: Yes indeed there are some persons who are really into Pings here and so you can sometimes get very uncommon plants, it's great!

Is there anybody else who got seeds from me and wants to tell me something about germination of them?

Kind Regards

Marcus

• 4 weeks later...

@ Marcus

Do you germinate all your seeds (including other CPs) on damp paper towels? If so, at what point do you plant them in a medium? I have had a very difficult time germinating Drosera (using different mediums). I have a couple baby pings (P. weser and P. esseriana), but did not germinate them myself.

Hi Marcus,

congrats to the good germination rate. I also made the experience tha a lot of species germinate quite well with this method.

But I must admit that I changed my sowing method to the conventional way as it is quite time-consuming to pick up the plants from the dish. If you wait too long the plants root into the tissue and it's quite difficult to get them out without distroiying the roots.

P. parvifolia germinates quite well (nearly 100%). The skill is to get it adult... ;-)

Cheers,

Markus

Hi,

@ Marcus

Do you germinate all your seeds (including other CPs) on damp paper towels? If so, at what point do you plant them in a medium? I have had a very difficult time germinating Drosera (using different mediums). I have a couple baby pings (P. weser and P. esseriana), but did not germinate them myself.

I've tried this method also with some Drosera and it worked well. At last you have to try yourself. The most interesting of a hobby is for me the try and error... :D

Hi Markus,

I hope you are fine?!?

Hi Marcus,

congrats to the good germination rate. I also made the experience tha a lot of species germinate quite well with this method.

But I must admit that I changed my sowing method to the conventional way as it is quite time-consuming to pick up the plants from the dish. If you wait too long the plants root into the tissue and it's quite difficult to get them out without distroiying the roots.

You are right, transplanting the seedlings all individually is quite a long time taking process! But I don't do this any more. I just take these kitchen towels and sow the seeds on it. After germination I take 2 of the 3 coats of wich they consist anway without moving the plantlets. Then I put the remaining coat onto the surface of the medium I want to grow them. After some weeks the remaining coat dissolves and the plants grow in their new medium ;)

Let's say 5 P. chilensis for this hint Okay :D

P. parvifolia germinates quite well (nearly 100%). The skill is to get it adult... ;-)

It's always hard to get Pings from seedlings to mature plants, but the more you try the better you get. At least I hope so!

Cheers Marcus