P.corsica Variants (many pictures!)

Hello everybody,

This year I finally had a lot of flowers of different P.corsica variants and location types and I always wanted to know if the different clones actually keep their flower colours and leaf forms when grown under new conditions.

These are the results (unfortunetely I seem to have mixed up a few of them :lol:, or some just grow completely different than they do in their wild habitats):

At first 3 interesting plants in comparison:

NO19:

P.corsica f. pallidula (if it is the real form...; this form is supposed to be very pale compared to the other forms)

No-2.jpg

No.jpg

No-1.jpg

Two pictures of P.corsica f. pallidula from the Pinguicula Organisation (www.pinguicula.org , I hope noone minds me refering to it here):

P_corsica_05(HR).jpg

P_corsica_03(HR).jpg(both pictures Copyright www.pinguicula.org )

NO18:

A normal pale form from Central Corsica:

No-7.jpg

No-6.jpg

No-4.jpg

Do you note the similarity of the flowers? My "pallidula" is either no real pallidula or this forma seems to be basically the same as most other pale forms from any locations (and not just the Lac de Melo form).

And now really interesting:

A pale highland form from slightly below the P.corsica f. pallidula holotype location, at around 1700m:

NO1:

No-53.jpg

No-52.jpg

No-51.jpg

No-50.jpg

No-49.jpg

This flower is nearly completely pale! And definetely more than the type P.corsica f. pallidula clone in cultivation. And to say the least it also flowers in this colour for me, here in Bavaria, grown under the same conditions as the f.pallidula seen above.

Im not sure what I should think of this but I'll watch this plant and the next generation and will also try out different conditions to see if the colour is a valid gene like for the true f.pallidula.

And here more forms to enjoy (interestingly I haven't seen a really deep lilac form in cultivation yet, most plants get lmore pale if offered good sun"):

NO2: (Monte Giovan Paolo,1600m, very pale flower):

No-48.jpg

No-47.jpg

No-46.jpg

No-45.jpg

No-44.jpg

NO3: (Highland cascade at around 1800m, lilac flower)

No-41.jpg

No-42.jpg

No-43.jpg

NO4: (pretty form from around1500m, close to Restonica, it grows on the track there and people step on it! ; lilac flower)

No-40.jpg

No-39.jpg

No-38.jpg

No-37.jpg

NO5: (1700m; Lac the Melo, close to water level)

No-36.jpg

No-35.jpg

NO7: (another highland form, 1600m, grass fields)

No-34.jpg

No-33.jpg

No-32.jpg

No-31.jpg

No-30.jpg

NO8: (another very interesting form from western Corsica, with long leaves)

No-22.jpg

No-23.jpg

No-24.jpg

No-25.jpg

No-26.jpg

No-27.jpg

No-28.jpg

No-29.jpg

NO11.2: (Monte Giovan Paolo, highland form?; Im not sure about the right identity but this is my favourite P.corsica clone! It has the typically "heartformed" leaves of a Highland form from Monte Giovan Paolo and the flowers aren't only very pretty but there are also lots of them!)

No-19.jpg

No-18.jpg

No-21.jpg

No-20.jpg

NO14: (another very nice Highland form from around 1800m, slightly pale flowers)

No-11.jpg

No-12.jpg

No-13.jpg

NO13: (more violet-flowered plant from P.corsica f. pallidula type location)

No-14.jpg

No-16.jpg

No-17.jpg

No-15.jpg

NO17: (from western Corsica, slightly pale flowers)

No-8.jpg

No-9.jpg

No-10.jpg

You can see there are a lot of nice variants growing on this island, basically anywhere once you reach an altitude of more than 1500m!

Very often they are the dominant plant together with the grass :wink:

If anyone knows a deeply purple flower form I'd be very interested!

Ah and the colours on many pictures are lacking bit of the violet colouration, sorry for that :D

Regards,

Valentin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sheila

So many varieties of corsica :D Nice photos :)

Where did you get them all? I didn't think there were as many as that in cultivation, especially with information as precise as altitude etc.

• 1 month later...

hello

in corsica just 3 forms

corsica fma corsica ( type)

corsica fma pallidula ( white)

corsica fma caerulescens ( bleu-violet)

the + or - pale colour is not a morphologic caracter in a botanic sense .

all the rest are a question of substrat,light , etc.

for the leaves the width is the same , the plant according to the UV light reduce or increase their surface , it is the same thing for grandiflora subsp grandiflora from 1200m to 2400m in pyrenées.

jeff