Plant eating nocturnal bugs *update*

Swerfer

Finally got around in uploading photos of my Darlingtonia bog project. I posted my preparations of a Darlingtonia bog last winter.  Here is an update of my Darlingtonia bog. A special thanks to someone on this forum... It is a mobile bog (on wheels), for full sun, with red slow growing live Sphagnum. Just in case, a ground thermometer for direct analogue reading root-temperature. I am very fond of this plant. Like some other growers here is it becoming an obsession…my precious.

14325583632_0d3d7d7933_c.jpgIMG_5935 by swerfer, on Flickr

14326664134_71ef0f2591_c.jpgIMG_6362 by swerfer, on Flickr

14140659119_f43dcd95f2_c.jpgIMG_5932 by swerfer, on Flickr

14140717230_086e3a38ed_c.jpgIMG_6363 by swerfer, on Flickr

I am growing in open air, outside. I am now coping with nature’s problems. The Darlingtonia is putting up new growth, and attracts nocturnal bugs. Bugs who like munching new growth. What can I do about that? I always inspect the plant in the evening.  Morning checks show bites out of the plants. At first I thought it was incidental. But every morning is the same, new bites out of the plants. It is killing me to see. What can I do about it? I have already sprayed my plants with insecticide, which get taken up by the plant (systemic bug spray). But this is not helping much. This night I will cover the container with mosquito netting. But it is not a parrot’s cage, which you cover with a blanket to make the parrot sleep. Do you have more suggestions for me?

New growth with bite marks, if you study the photos you will see

14324010191_3476979543_k.jpgIMG_6532 by swerfer, on Flickr

14140672309_656e7262d9_k.jpgIMG_6533 by swerfer, on Flickr

14304159436_37d97912e5_k.jpgIMG_6535 by swerfer, on Flickr

I think the bites are from green bush crickets:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/resources-rx/images/1049/meconema-meridionale-02_62470_1.jpg

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-27448558/stock-photo-male-and-female-green-bush-crickets-long-horned-grasshoppers.html

Please help, it is frustrating to see the plants getting damaged by an invisible enemy.

Edited by Swerfer

The only thing I can think of would be a neonicotinoid toxin. This class of insecticide has been getting a bad rap lately about killing bees, but its BS. You just use the stuff on plants that do not attract honey bees and/or apply when they are not in flower.

Here is an update on my white mobile Darlingtonia bogs. I found out the only way to prevent insect bites on the plants, is using mosquito gauze. This prevents the biting bugs to get near the plants. It takes away the flair of the visual aspect in admiring the Darlingtonia plant, but helps to keep the plant safe, thus what matters. Who would think insect-eating plants would get eaten by insects.

14392992343_b034c6e909_z.jpgIMG_6555 by swerfer, on Flickr

14186200918_62eaa96537_z.jpgIMG_6557 by swerfer, on Flickr

IMG_6557 by swerfer, on Flickr

As far as the insecticide, I did use a neonicotinoid toxinase base (thiacloprid), but still the bugs have their way on the plant.  I believe in the concept that this product has affect on bees. I don’t know how it gets transferred to the bees, but using this product outside burdens my conscious. In conclusion, there have been no new bite-marks since the mosquito netting (approx. one week). The plants can now put up new healthy pitchers. And in full sun the white netting will also serve as shade cloth.

I did find the bugs responsible. I think it is not crickets but beetles. See picture of the suspect found on the plants at one night. Any idea what species it is?

14372782445_81b8d91974.jpgIMG_6547 by swerfer, on Flickr

this is the damage these bugs can do:

14369504111_f610f585d1_b.jpgIMG_6550 by swerfer, on Flickr

Ok I am now sure damage is done by vine weevils. After some research and information of Ada, there are two biological ways to kill grubs.

First nematodes, which infect the grubs and eventually kill them or a new type of biological care with fungus. This special fungus kills all stadia of vine weevil grubs.

The only fungus I am aware of good for carnivorous plants is trichoderma. Does anyone have experience with nematodes or this fungus in pest control and does it negatively affect Carnivorous plants?

Don’t want to be the first to discover the ‘wheel’.

By the way, probably cant use the fungus pest control, it is only available in special compost, compost probably not suitable for CP.

Any info or advise is welcome,

Youri

Edited by Swerfer

I haven't had this problem in my Darlingtonia, probably because Vine Weevil grubs are not aquatic. That I believe is your best answer. If you think that you have a Vine Weevil larvae problem then flood the tubs. It's still a little early in the year but at least you'll have peace of mind.

Edited by FredG