Grow list website

I have built a totally free website that allows people to create grow lists and export them to html, text or bbcode. Or you can just post a link to your grow list on the website.

People can upload pictures of their plants to attach to their lists and indicate if plants/seeds/etc. are for sale or trade. People can also make 'wanted' lists for plants they do not own.

At any rate, the site isn't ready for the general public but it is ready for any people who would want to try it out and help work out the kinks.

You can sign up at: http://growlist.co/registers

Edited by Alex_toronto

My new Grow List website can be reached at http://growlist.co

Please bear in mind it is still under development.

I will typically approve site invitations within 24 hours.

Invitations are no longer needed. Just register on http://growlist.co/registers

Thanks for looking, and I would appreciate any feedback in pm, or on the site.

Edited by Alex_toronto

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I have started my list today and talked about it on an other forum. I hope it will get more people ! If I just can say something many cultivars of vft are missing. Do you want that I send a list to you ?

But once again thanks a lot for this great idea !!

Thanks Carnicarni, I would appreciate a link to a list of the species, or I can accept CSV or excel files with columns for Latin_name, common_name, and Genus

There are currently 5400 species and varieties of plants, but it will take a while to get them all in. I can add thousands of new plants relatively quickly once I have the data for them.

you could make life a bit easier and let the user input the plant names that are not already there. Then you would just need to keep an eye out for spelling mistakes or joke entries etc. Similar to what I have done with my survey (link in my signature)

Thanks. The difficulty is that there would soon be dozens of entries for a single plant, and it would mess up search and other things as well.

You would start typing to choose a plant name and you would get 80 types of drosera burmannii depending :)

I will work to add more plants as I can.

theres many ways around that, eg you write script to throw up an error message for duplicate entries or variations on it and display a list of possible plants for the user to select

or u have an admin page that lists the plants in alphabetical order against the user and and a field in each row to delete a plant and reasign the user to the correct plant, you check it regularly. or you could set some script to send you an email when new entries are added so you wont need to check it everyday.

Hi Alex ! You will have the biggest list of vft on this page (it also works for the others carnivorous plantes)

http://cpphotofinder.com/Dionaea.html

After I can make a list with Excel if you want.

If I can also make a little suggestion I think that you should use just one way of presentation for the vft. Maybe in the first line just put Dionaea Muscipula and in a second the cultivars names.

Thanks for the link to the Dionaea cultivars, I have now added 700 new Dionaea variations.

I'm not sure what you mean by first line and second line? Did you mean "latin name" and "common name"?

I am a librarian by training so I am trying to get to a system that is easy to use but maintains the integrity of the taxonomy. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Alex_toronto

Wow that's really impressive !!! Great Work !!!

I'm sorry I can only talk about vft because that's  what I'm cultivating the most. I think it could easier if the first case was used to indicate "Dionaea Muscipula" (the latin name) et the second (common name) to indicate the cultivar. For the moment cultar names appear with latin name.

Thanks to MikeCP who also provided an excellent list of approx 600 plants that have been added to the database.

Due to the overwhelming nature of adding thousands of plants there may occasionally be some duplicates or errors.

Great point Carnicarni about the latin and common names. The reason the cultivar appears in the latin name as well for VFTs is so that there can be no errors in tagging a plant. Later on when people want to search for a specific cultivar this will ensure that the correct results will be displayed.

Basically it's the way it is right now for search and display. Eventually it might be possible to create a proper thesaurus and complete taxonomy for the plants. That will take some more time :)

Great point Carnicarni about the latin and common names. The reason the cultivar appears in the latin name as well for VFTs is so that there can be no errors in tagging a plant. Later on when people want to search for a specific cultivar this will ensure that the correct results will be displayed.

Yes you are right. It is a lot easier like that and finally better

• 4 weeks later...

Alex, i realise i can give feedback over at your site, but seeing as you're here....

Would it be possible to change the default plant image to something more like this i've just quickly knocked together as an example

noplant_zps6f40801e.png

Maybe it would encourage more people like myself (who don't have suitable decent photos of their plants to upload yet) to add their grow list anyway ? :wink:

Edit : Just out of interest, what species of plant is the current default image anyway please ?

Edited by Welshy

Thanks for the feedback, it's a great suggestion and I'll update the site this week.

The default plant is an unlabelled fern of some kind that I got from a royalty free source. I'm not a fern expert, but I thought it made a great generic plant.

There are some improvements still to be made for sure. The more people that use the site the more time I can devote to it.

Alex