Pygmy Drosera care tips

Mujician

I bought a pygmy drosera two years ago on a bit of a whim because it looked cute. I'd like to be successful in keeping one alive this time - I'm ordering D Scorpoides, and D Pygmaea. I'm not sure what was wrong with the last one. I believe the moss on the post with the plants grew over them and smothered them. Is this a genuine possibility? Do pygmies die back/go dormant? Is there a need to reduce moss growth or are they strong enough to push through? Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So my pygmies have arrived this morning - a scorpioides and a pygmaea. Do I need to worry about the moss smothering the plants? Should I pull it out when it gets too much or does it not pose any problem at all? 

Am I correct in keeping them stood in water through the summer, and warmer months. And only damp through the winter?

I keep most pygmy species in pots of 10 or 11 cm height. Watering by the tray method a while after the tray has run dry. This can be done all year, but obviously the watering frequency is much higher in summer as the trays dry out very fast.

When being grown this way, I do not have a lot of mosses competing with my pygmies.

D. scorpioides should outcompete the mosses whereas D. pygmaea certainly can be overgrown more easily.

Best regards

Dieter

I repotted mine by carefully taking the plant out of its pot together with all of the soil, and then put the pot inside a larger one, fill around it with the new compost. When its full, carefully remove the smaller pot from the larger one, and you will be left with a perfect sized hole in which tp replace the plant you took out the original pot. Plant repotted without root disturbance.

• 3 weeks later...