Brexit???

Baeutytube

Dear all,

at first I would like to wish you a happy new year an a good growers luck to you all!!

Now to my doubt:

I searched in this Forum and I tried to find some Information, but I haven’t been successful:

Dose anyone of this forum has any idea how we will swap or trade plants with the UK after the Brexit?

My Interpretation of the situation is: UK will be not a part of the EU anymore. It is like US, Australia,..

Consequently: a lot of plants we cannot exchange anymore, if we exchange plants (CITES regulations) a lot of expensive paperwork will be the consequence. Will there be a full isolation of the UK???

That would be a very bad situation in terms of plants conservation.

BT

You can see details set out by the government here. The immediate problem would be if we leave with a "No-deal". It says "the UK would be treated as a third country and would lose access to the EU plant passport regime" and "the UK would become a third country, and would need to meet EU third country import requirements to export controlled plants and plant products to the EU". However, for imports they say this: "To deliver a smooth transition when we leave the EU, in a ‘no deal’ scenario the Government has decided that the majority of plants and plant products are low-risk and should continue to enter the UK from the EU freely, as they do now." So, we're alright :wink: Just need EU countries to be reasonable now.

9 hours ago, Alexis said:

Best to get it all done during February probably!

O yeah I will order all plants from MK today! I hope he is prepared to pack on the weekend.  :rolleyes:

De facto the future will bring isolation of the UK (in the sense of plants exchange) and we will lose "conservation capacity".

I am also worried about the future of my UK colleagues working here in with me in Austria (but this is not the subject of this forum)

BT

Who knows, not least the people we pay to sort this out for us. At the very least it is likely that CITES listed forms will not be able to be traded without difficult and expensive permits. As this will include all Sarracenia and Nepenthes species, there will be a problem. (I often send CITES listed fish and shark material between museums and this will be a real pain for me). Although this is the least of our worries......