South East CP's in habitat?

Hi all,

I added some more of the redfern books to my collection over Christmas including the fantastic Pinguicula of latin America but I have become equally fascinated with the field guide to CP's in the UK. Being in the furthest reaches of Kent I assumed that there would be nothing around me at all but the distribution maps suggest that I have at least 3 aquatic Utric species right on my doorstep (U australis, vulgaris and minor). Furthermore all 3 Drosera species seem to occur around the Kent East Sussex border as does Pinguicula vulgaris.

So far I have not photographed any CP's in the wild and was planning on visiting the well know New Forest sites to see them in habitat but I would be far more excited to see native plants growing in my neck of the woods. I wondered if anybody on here had any information on specific locations I could visit to see the plants?

Please be assured that I simply want to see and photograph the plants not collect them as I have all these plants in my collection but would love to see them where they are supposed to be. Feel free to PM me if people want to keep information private. If nobody has any info then I hope to be able to work it out logically and see if I can find them!

Thanks

Rich

• Like 1

That's interesting, I'd not known about any sites in Kent with CPs however I had heard before that the Utric species were 'widespread' throughout the UK.

I wonder where Stewart has collated that information from - does it state any references or credits?

If you look at the Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland (link), U. australis and U. vulgaris are listed as recent spottings at Stodmarsh. U. minor however is listed as 'probably extinct for Kent' as a 1966 spotting in the Royal Mility Canal has been disputed (link )

D. anglica doesn't show up, but D. rotundifolia shows recent finds near Hothfield common, Ashford. D. intermedia only shows up in Sussex near the border.

This roughly corroborates with the information we've heard.

Hi

the CPS is going to run a field trip to Dorset and the new forest later in the year.  You will be able to see all native drosera and pinguicula, many utrics and some sarracenia introductions.

Details will be on our website (www.thecps.org.uk) in due course.

cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, dennisB said:

Hi

the CPS is going to run a field trip to Dorset and the new forest later in the year.  You will be able to see all native drosera and pinguicula, many utrics and some sarracenia introductions.

cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, id be very interested in coming to a trip like that as it would make it much easier to find these plants in habitat! Ill keep an eye on the site.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, dennisB said:

Hi

cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, id be very interested in coming to a trip like that as it would make it much easier to find these plants in habitat! Ill keep an eye on the site.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:55 PM, Stu said:

That's interesting, I'd not known about any sites in Kent with CPs however I had heard before that the Utric species were 'widespread' throughout the UK.

I wonder where Stewart has collated that information from - does it state any references or credits?

If you look at the Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland (link), U. australis and U. vulgaris are listed as recent spottings at Stodmarsh. U. minor however is listed as 'probably extinct for Kent' as a 1966 spotting in the Royal Mility Canal has been disputed (link )

D. anglica doesn't show up, but D. rotundifolia shows recent finds near Hothfield common, Ashford. D. intermedia only shows up in Sussex near the border.

This roughly corroborates with the information we've heard.

There's nothing in the Bibliography that is directly relevant to our area Stu but it is a substantial list so ill see if I can source any info. The U minor reference appears to be near Deal on the Map and I found references to U vulgaris at Sholden so perhaps it is there?

Ill Pm you in regards to visting some of the locations. :)