Yay an allotment space

So I've finally taken the plunge and managed to acquire an allotment plot within 0.5 miles of me. Lots of work to be done with it, but I'm keen to get started, and thankfully right time of the year to clear stuff and get it ready for my 'spring' expansion.

Now question time, does anyone have experience using allotments for growing CP's?

What advice would you give me to start with?

I'm also in the market for setting up either a greenhouse or poly tunnels to really get my growing space sorted. I've seen some really good ideas on here, so any advice is welcome.

I'm just really happy to have something big to commit to and look forward to developing it :)

• Like 1

make sure you have plenty of water storage.double what you think you'll need.

Have good guttering on any greenhouse or poly tunnel or shed and collect all the rain water you can.Its easy to run out if you get a dry spell.

• Like 1

Guest paul y

I second that, no such thing as "too much water storage" track down the big blue barrels used to ship various fluids across the globe or better yet the big orange juice containers, a few thousand litres of water on standby is a good start,

ive also heard of a few horror stories concerning allotments and growing anything else but vegetables, pious old coffin dodging nearly deads who cant accept anyone growing anything but sprouts, weedkiller in water butts, slashed tunnels etc etc, theft is also a consideration as allotments are the go to source for your average addict looking for an easy score.

• Like 1

For water storage 1000L IBC containers are a must for any allotment. Add to that the vast amounts of water needed for cp's then it is a wise investment. I got 2 for £50 plus £10 delivery. You may also have to clean out the container if the seller already hasn't.

A polytunnel is a good idea for larger cp collections. They aren't cheap, so again if you can get second hand that's always good. Shop around. Be aware that polytunnels need maintenance (hot spot tape a must for the hoops), covers only last 5-6 years and may need replacing. This also may not be cheap so shop around.

As far as the possible vandalism on the plot, whatever you do - polytunnel or greenhouse - this is always a factor. Most of the time thieves are after your rotivators and electrical tools and a quick exit. I wouldn't let the 'fear' put you off. You can also buy repair tape for a polytunnel just in case (see Ebay again).

Most of the time other plot holders won't know what the hell you are keeping anyway and only know if you tell them. Those that do figure things out, why not offer spares as swaps for seeds/veggies and that removes the theft equation. Use common sense and don't put anything wildly expensive like a Cephalotus Eden Black in there as you never know!

Yes the old guys up the plot may think you are nuts but that goes for anything like yellow raspberries, bicoloured sweetcorn or anything really. Allotments are a hive of politics, turf wars, resentment, disputes and all this is normal. I do advise keeping friendships 'casual' and try not to compete in an overt manner.

• Like 1

For water storage 1000L IBC containers are a must for any allotment. Add to that the vast amounts of water needed for cp's then it is a wise investment. I got 2 for £50 plus £10 delivery. You may also have to clean out the container if the seller already hasn't.

A polytunnel is a good idea for larger cp collections. They aren't cheap, so again if you can get second hand that's always good. Shop around. Be aware that polytunnels need maintenance (hot spot tape a must for the hoops), covers only last 5-6 years and may need replacing. This also may not be cheap so shop around.

As far as the possible vandalism on the plot, whatever you do - polytunnel or greenhouse - this is always a factor. Most of the time thieves are after your rotivators and electrical tools and a quick exit. I wouldn't let the 'fear' put you off. You can also buy repair tape for a polytunnel just in case (see Ebay again).

Most of the time other plot holders won't know what the hell you are keeping anyway and only know if you tell them. Those that do figure things out, why not offer spares as swaps for seeds/veggies and that removes the theft equation. Use common sense and don't put anything wildly expensive like a Cephalotus Eden Black in there as you never know!

Yes the old guys up the plot may think you are nuts but that goes for anything like yellow raspberries, bicoloured sweetcorn or anything really. Allotments are a hive of politics, turf wars, resentment, disputes and all this is normal. I do advise keeping friendships 'casual' and try not to compete in an overt manner.

Thanks for the input, I had a good long chat with the committee prior to them agreeing to me having a plot. They told me before I went to chat to them that I could be waiting until the beginning of the year, as it happens one of the committee board members decided to let me have one of his smaller plots with immediate effect and has offered to assist in the form of timber and containers after hearing how enthusiastic I was and how much thought and time I'd already put into the planning for it. I've been completely open about what I want to create on site, and what I intend to grow. With this I intend to buy myself a polytunnel (recommendations welcome) or maybe a greenhouse (not completely decided on which as yet) and use some of the timber to set up raised terrace ideas I've seen at Carnivorous plant nurseries to be able to have large troughs with something like pond liner in them to create the continous water mat. I realise this will use my water very quickly, so I intend to section it off whilst my collection is smaller and slowly upgrade as I go.

make sure you have plenty of water storage.double what you think you'll need.

Have good guttering on any greenhouse or poly tunnel or shed and collect all the rain water you can.Its easy to run out if you get a dry spell.

I already have an IBC on order through the allotment agency, at a good price too. 1000L, I may consider upgrading fairly soon, especially after hearing your comments, and knowing how much water on a week to week basis my current plants use.

The tasks in the coming weeks ahead of me are to clear the site, I will post some pictures in here to show you guys what I'm up against, but with a lot of hard work (which strangely I'm looking forward to), I intend to create a nice site for me to grow stuff outdoors and inside a polytunnel/greenhouse. Thankfully the plot I have is on the outskirts of the site which has no easy access to it other than the main gates (which are really high fencing and you need a key to get in). I'm definitely going to network myself well and discuss swaps etc, I might even be able to set a trend as most of the growers on site are very varied at what they grow. Some grow ornamental gardens, some 'leisure areas' to chill out in, and others are hardcore vegetable growers, so a really mixed bunch. I believe theres even an orchid grower on site too.

You are of course right, the main problem on these sorts of sites is theft, I certainly wont be storing expensive cultivars here, It will mainly be for propagating on and bulking up my collection.

Once again, CPUK forums fills me with joy of listening to all of the experience and advice from you guys, I really appreciate the help and advice, and over the last couple of months I've been on here I would say I've learnt far more about carnivorous plants and growing them than I ever did whilst nosing through books back in my teens. For that I am eternally grateful.

Thanks guys! :)

• 1 month later...

Well its been some time, and I thought it was finally time to update my original post. Things have moved very quickly :)

Heres some images of my greenhouse set up and some autumn pictures.

My collection has grown in some areas, particularly sarracenia, but I didn't have time to upload all the pictures.

Middle%20of%20Sept%2015%20002_zpsbql1zh3

Middle%20of%20Sept%2015%20009_zpsbvuedxm

Middle%20of%20Sept%2015%20008_zpsuxuwty3

Middle%20of%20Sept%2015%20004_zpsxnnq849

Autumn Pictures Below:

Middle%20of%20Sept%2015%20028_zpsvkzjwmu

october%20autumn%20carnivorous%20030_zps

october%20autumn%20carnivorous%20027_zps

october%20autumn%20carnivorous%20025_zps

october%20autumn%20carnivorous%20023_zps

october%20autumn%20carnivorous%20022_zps

023_zpszppwo4e5.jpg

october%20autumn%20carnivorous%20018_zps

october%20autumn%20carnivorous%20013_zps

october%20autumn%20carnivorous%20012_zps

october%20autumn%20carnivorous%20020_zps

october%20autumn%20carnivorous%20019_zps

Let me know what you think :)

I've had a greenhouse on an allotment for several years now. Works for me! I've even managed to charm the committee into installing extra rainwater butts around the site, that I harvest on a regular basis (when my own storage runs low). They're a great idea. I've had no trouble from the local 'wildlife' and it's ideally placed to get 100% sunlight.

I have no heating either, so everything I only grow hardy plants.

Truth be told, I'm looking at a toughened glass greenhouse, 10x8 to expand my needs over the next month, then in the coming spring a polytunnel :P