Drosera madagascarensis

Digger

Hi people!   I am a newbie to this forum and have recently started a small collection of CPs, for my kitchen window sill.  I know this may be a very basic question and may well be covered somewhere else, but it will be great to hear what you guys advise.

I have just purchased a D.madagascarensis that is due to arrive in a couple of days.  I have a roughly south-facing indoor window sill that gets about 8hrs of sunshine per day, the house is unheated during the summer but it gets ok warm in the kitchen.  My D dichotoma D alicae and D capensis are all doing very well alongside each other.  The new D madagascarensis is being supplied in a 2 and a half ins pot.  1) should I be very careful when acclimatising it (its coming from UK, to Cornwall UK), in any special way ?    2) should I repot to a bit larger pot quite soon or wait till next year ?   3) if I do repot will a sphagnum peat/perlite mix be ok ?  4) should I keep a little water in the pot dish all the time or let it drain regularly ?  5) is there anything else that I should be 'paying attention to' about this type of Drosera ?  

I really hope I'm not boring you guys with a misplaced or 'too basic' topic.  Thankyou very much for reading this - I will be very grateful to hear what anyone has to say. I just love Drosera and can't wait to get my new one this week!  :give_heart:

I grow mine in peat/perlite or sometimes spaghnum i dont think they are very picky. 8 hrs sunshine sounds perfect. Theyre not very demanding really. Mine usually die off and come back from the roots in spring if i keep them cool.

1) Not really no.

2) I'd wait 'til arrives before assessing if it needs repotting. It shouldn't be much of an issue if you felt like it.

3) Sphag peat/ perlite should be fine (I use sand instead of perlite for dews -though to be fair mine is still in the same pot and media it came in but then  I only got round to growing this particular species a couple of years ago)

4) Keep rainwater in the dish all the time

5) It won't grow vertically straight on a windowsill unless you keep turning them! Will get quite leggy over winter.

Like manders mine die off from freezing in an unheated greenhouse and grow back from the roots in spring. Seems to be fairly easy to grow. Where are you buying from? 

Hi and Thanks Ordivic,  I got it just this morning (pretty good - next day delivery!), I bought from Sundew Cottage, in Herefordshire I think. Its about 3ins high and looks really interesting. It came with a quite red-fringed capensis - both were a bit shocked I think as they were ReaLLy sticky in the bubblewrap - but lost it all nearly as I opened them carefully over a about 6 hours. Otherwise they look healthy I think. I have noticed the fact that I must turn them all regularly (also with the Saracenias) otherwise they grow unequally, but I am prepared to do this!  Thanks again for a great response :-)