Lilium regale, a surprising stunner (pic)

meizwang

Bought a couple of Lilies to keep the wife happy with the back yard, since giving her a bouquet of Sarracenia flowers isn't all that impressive anymore (boooo :P ) I said what the heck, this Lilium regale looks okay, I'll buy one of these bulbs and see what happens.

Oh my goodness! It just opened yesterday, and I couldn't believe my eyes! I thought it would be just an okay flower based on the pictures I saw via google searches, but turns out it's way beyond what we expected. This plant is strategically placed in front of our kitchen window, and has a powerful, sweet fragrance. The abaxial side of the sepals(fancy way of saying back side) are pink, which makes an interesting contrast. Photos don't do this thing justice. It's way more impressive in person but still worth a glance:

14220007943_b6767f14e7_h.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Gaz!

Fred-The other ones are just starting to show their buds, and it'll be a few more weeks before they open. Lots of interesting ones, including some more species, so stay tuned!

Guest paul y

get some tree lillies, I have them in tubs out back, they got four foot tall last year, ive seen them six feet with over fifty blooms, the ground cover lillies are stunning as well.

paul