A few Indian Utric's

After enjoying the Nepenthes tour (see Alistair's topic, I will post some of my photo's later), it was time for something completely different. I went to India with the main focus on watching wildlife. With succes, since I did enjoy the thrill of seeing a tiger, a leopard, wild dogs and much more!!

But of course I kept my eyes open for any CP's.

In Bharatpur I found two different aquatic Utric's:

U. aurea: a very widespread species, occuring from India to Japan and Australia

P1000822.jpg

The second Utric, is apparantly not U. inflexa but a white flowered form of U. stellaris. This form has an unusual high number of flowers (up to at least 24, while 15 is the maximum according to the description of the species).

P1010019.jpg

It was not really widespread in the park, but locally it was abundant, growing somewhat more exposed area compared to U, aurea.

P1010014.jpg

P1000984.jpg

I hope you enjoyed!

Edited by johnvdw
  • Like 2

Thanks for your comments.

Photo's of U. inflexa are very scarce despites the wide distribution of the species. Only a few photo's of U. inflexa, all from Western Africa, can be found the internet. Interestingly the appearance of these plants (especially the coloration, but also the length of the spur, see cp photofinder) is somewhat different from the plants that I have seen in India. U. inflexa is appears to be a variable species.

@ theinactive moth: I did get some quite nice shots of a tiger :sun_bespectacled: . The leopard was less cooperative.

John

• 3 weeks later...

This U. inflexa shows several unusual features. This photo show a stalk with about 24 flowers, while Taylor in his monograph mentiones 12 as a maximum (the other photo's of U. inflexa that I have found on the net have a maximum of 10 flowers)

P1000987.jpg

And an other carnivore

P1010593.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry for late reply...but amazing shots John. Where did you see these?.. which state I mean? I recently went to India as well...but for family reasons.. But next time, I might try going on some of these wild life photography tours.

Sorry for late reply...but amazing shots John. Where did you see these?.. which state I mean? I recently went to India as well...but for family reasons.. But next time, I might try going on some of these wild life photography tours.

The Utricularia's have been photographed in KeoLadeo NP in Rajahstan, a nice place to see especially a lot of birds and also some mammals and reptiles.

After that I have visited two tiger reserves in Madhya Pradesh where I spotted amongst others a tiger, four different deer species, wild boar, gaur, a leopard, wild dogs and jackals.

John

• 3 weeks later...