Utricularia from Hartz Mountain: monanthos or dichotoma?

Kevin Tonnerre

I know, the dichotoma-complex is quite confusing and there might as well be more than just dichotoma, monanthos and novae-zelanidae, but one could also clump them together as one species.

Anyways, i recieved this plant as Utricularia monanthos from Hartz mountain. I think this particular plant is also more or less common in cultivation and i wanted to ask you if your plant also looks like this. Because from what i know, U. monanthos actually makes rather small flower scapes, this one is 16cm high though. Did the grower, apart from giving me some "nice" cleistogamous U. subulata also mixed up the plants, or did this plant get a wrong labeling when it was collected? Any opinions?

utriculariamonanthoshar.jpg

Hi Kevin

I do not grow U. monanthos from the Hartz Mountains anymore, but I have seen it growing there in profusion, and the flower scapes only ever get to 2 - 3cm tall. As your flower scape is so much taller, I would say that yours is indeed U. dichotoma.

I introduced seed of this species, from the Hartz Mountains, in 2007 - with seed sent all over Europe and the UK, as well as the USA and Canada, and all of this was pure U. monanthos. I am sure there have been plenty of other collections by other people and maybe some of these were wrongly labelled?

Utricularia uniflora, which is the only other dichotoma group bladderwort to live in the Hartz Mountains is generally pink in colour, although I have seen white flowered forms.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by An D Smith