Sarracenia going brown - What do i do?

Carnivorous-Owen

Hi iv'e had a saracenia plant for a couple of years now. In the winter it started going brown and rotting from the top down. I thought this was normal because of 'dormancy' which i don't really understand much. My nan who knows a lot about flowers (but not cp's) said to cut the tops off as it would probably grow back But i'm gutted it doesn't seem to be growing back and it's all rotting even more and going fluffy and furry in the inside. There is also little white insects on it but i don't know the best method to get red of them. Please tell me what i can do thank you.

Owen

Fluffy and furry sounds very much like a fungus. Is the fluffiness greyish in colour? Best thing you post a picture..

Hiya, Thank you for replying

Yes i was going to include some pictures but my camera quality is so poor.

Funnily enough i just inspected the plant and there is no fluffy stuff anymore. Yes it was grey so must of been fungus although i haven't treated it and i never knew fungus go's on its own. The camera quality is so poor you can't even see the little white mites.

PICT0118.jpg

PICT0117.jpg

PICT0119.jpg

As you can see in the photo with the biggest one in my hand it is brown at the top then it go's into a red colour and then back down to the green. Most of the pitchers are like that. Any idea on what i need to do? Thanks

Guest Matt Beighton

I have a similar problem to this, I recently purchased a Sarracenia from a garden center and planted it in my bog. Within a few days it was going brown and the trumpets seem papery and weak, falling over in the wind. Is this normal?

I wandered if it was too much direct sunlight burning it, as it only appears to be on one side? I am also having to use canes to support the bigger trumpets, is this normal? I thought they would be able to stand up on their own as in the wild?

5832014526_cdda2dc004.jpg

Edited by Matt Beighton

I have a similar problem to this, I recently purchased a Sarracenia from a garden center and planted it in my bog. Within a few days it was going brown and the trumpets seem papery and weak, falling over in the wind. Is this normal?

I wandered if it was too much direct sunlight burning it, as it only appears to be on one side? I am also having to use canes to support the bigger trumpets, is this normal? I thought they would be able to stand up on their own as in the wild?

5832014526_cdda2dc004.jpg

The plant has probably been used to low light levels in the garden centre so moving it into full sun has scortched the pitchers.

Guest Matt Beighton

The plant has probably been used to low light levels in the garden centre so moving it into full sun has scortched the pitchers.

Ah dammit, my lack of acclimatization knowledge there. Is there anything I can do to help it, or just let it grow new ones? I have moved it into less direct sunlight anyway. Will that be why the pitchers seem weak and are falling over?

• 2 months later...

Carnivorous Owen....there doesn't seem much wrong with your plant that i can see from the pics. as pitchers age they start to go brown and crisp from the top down, also if there is a drought.

I once went on holiday leaving my neighbour in charge of the greenhouse. when i came back two weeks later she was beside herself as she thought she had single handedly killed one of my very large S's.

in fact it was much neglected before i went away, as i hadn't been well and the majority of the pitchers were brown and crisp.

i reassured her that she had done nothing wrong and suitably ashamed of my lack of care gave it a radical haircut...6 weeks later new pitchers!!!

today i have been tidying my outside Sarra which has been tossed and shredded in the wind and drought, the majority of the large pitchers are gone now, but i can see their replacements coming up for air already!

as for the fungus...mmmmnn, did you dare i say it, 'feed it, with something , perhaps unsuitable?

if its gone now it looks like its worked itself out, wouldn't you say?

Elliott...how large are those pitchers and how dense/many?

if its greenhouse grown it will naturally have taller pitchers than an outside one, if its a shop bought one it will probably have only a few pitchers and sarra pitchers do support each other, you know.

i would wait and see, i dont think its heading for the great prairie in the sky, and what you'll find is next year you will have stronger, denser growth that is suitable for the position its in...obviously steer clear of putting it in a wind tunnel, but sArras like sun!!!! :sun_bespectacled: