Cold hardiest Sarracenia species or hybrids

johns

I think Flava's are worth a go.

I've had them growing outside in a container in NW UK for the last 15 years or so. The only protection they get is a double layer of fleece from about November to March. The container is large and undrained, in winter if we've had no rain I water it, otherwise it just looks after is self. Some winters it'll be flooded and frozen well over the top of the rhizomes, the plants still come back in spring.

Plants can get dry outside even in winter, I've lost outdoor plants by not watering them in winter, its easy to forget about them. Now I make sure my outdoor plants get plenty of water and they seem to thrive. Dessication seems to be the issue rather than freezing in water.

Last winter was very cold for the UK, below -10c for extended periods, all the Sarra's I have growing outside seem to be coming back OK. The Flava's are flowering.

If i see your climate is like where we live,the only difference is the light,you have allmost 2 hours lesser light in winter.I not know if this make any difference ?

I grow all sarras outside(see my growlist) whitout any problems,the last 3 winters where very cold whit freezing till -21° (one time 2 years ago)

My plants are in a bog ,i give no protection at all,till now i lost outside not one plant,you can grow even binata,capensis and VFT whitout any problems.

This year in february i have set a lot of sarras in my greenhousse, for see the difference in grow.In my greenhousse the plants grow match faster and are much biggger,she looks better then outside ,outside the plants are not so beautyfull and not growing fast.

I think outside the growing seasson is at least 2 months lesser then inside.

So you can try every sarra ,i am sure you have no problems if you set in a bog ,or even in big pots standing in 5 to 10 cm water,but give not any protection ,plants are very winterhardy.

You must planted out in spring for give the plants time to make roots and grow before winter begins,i think in June is the limit.

You'de be hard pressed to kill a purpurea purpurea they grow way up into Canada (and survive happily at several uk sites) it's the state/provincial plant of nova scotia!

I have one already. :smile: It did just fine over the winter (it had an easy one though, insulated by snow), and it managed to keep a few pitchers.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this as I'd like to ask about more commonly available Sarracenia hybrids. Are there any found in garden centers that might survive outdoors here? I remember seeing pictures of Sarracenia x catesbaei introduced on a Danish bog, so perhaps that might be worth a try?

(I don't think I've seen S. flava or any other pure species for sale.)

The reason for the question is that I realized that I need a CITES certificate when buying Sarracenia from outside Norway, which makes it too expensive.