Carnivorous plants on stamps

Braunbear

The West African country of Guinea-Bissau to the south of Senegal issued in 2010 a stamp sheet with orchids. On the top right of this stamp sheet there is placed an american pitcher plant Sarracenia purpurea, although it is not among the orchids, and this plant is not native there.

Guinea-Bissau_2010.jpg

• 1 month later...

Togo is a country in West Africa, on the Gulf of Guinea, and is bordered by Ghana to the west, Benin to the east and Burkina Faso to the north. Lome is the capital and seat of government. Until the First World War it was a German colony territory (see Togoland), then the League of Nations mandated territory or trust territory of the United Nations under French administration.

In 2011 there was issued a stamp sheet with the topic "Natural disasters and flora in danger". This sheet shows next to a hurricane, flood, volcanic eruption, a pitcher plant, the "Sarracenia alata". However, it is native to the United States of America. Inside the perforated stamp, in the U.S. native, there is imaged a Venus Flytrap "Dionaea muscipula". In addition, a bush fire, which happens very often in natural areas and endangered the natural plant communities.

For more details, such as the exact issue date, are not yet known.

Regards,

Thomas

2011_Togo.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

• 1 year later...

After a long absence I present you again new carnivorous plants on stamps. This time, the motives comes freshly from the tropical jungle.

The Philippine postal administration issued in early 2013 a stamp sheet of 16 pieces with four different local Nepenthes:

Nepenthes peltata

Nepenthes truncata

Nepenthes burkei

Nepenthes attenboroughii - named after the famous British naturalist Sir David Attenborough

The second edition, there was a small block of 4 stamps. The special feature of this block is the missing perforation. Whether intended or not, the perforation is only printed in black.

This has the following motives:

Nepenthes mindanaoensis

Nepenthes sibuyanensis

Nepenthes mira

Nepenthes mantalingajansis

-in addition: Nepenthes merrilliana

The images of the two sheets with First Day Cover:

2013_Philippinen_01.jpg

2013_Philippinen_02.jpg

2013_Philippinen_04.jpg

2013_Philippinen_03.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

• 3 weeks later...

In 2012, the postal administration of the island nation of Palau issued two new stamp sheets with carnivorous plants.

In the first stamp sheet is the Drosera regia, called King Sundew, has been immortalized on a postage stamp. She is one of the largest species of sundew. The leaves are up to 40 centimeters long and 12 millimeters wide. The inflorescence is up to 40 cm high.

The second stamp sheet contains four different plants.

- Pinguicula lusitanica

- Genlisea margaretae

- Drosera aliciae

- Utricularia subulata

2012_Palau_01.jpg

2012_Palauu_02.jpg

Hello all,

You have a nice collection of stamps. Do you also collect the FDC (First Day Covers)?

I am making a website about Carnivorous Plants on stamps, FDC, Coins, Paper Money, games, Cartoons and other fun stuff.

www.carnivorousplantsplanet.com

It is an ongoing project to update the site because I have so much with Carnivorous Plants on. I am collection also for many years.

I even have an animatronic 'Audrey 2' to show later in the year.

Gday,

Kurt Spontini

Hello all,

You have a nice collection of stamps. Do you also collect the FDC (First Day Covers)?

I am making a website about Carnivorous Plants on stamps, FDC, Coins, Paper Money, games, Cartoons and other fun stuff.

www.carnivorousplantsplanet.com

It is an ongoing project to update the site because I have so much with Carnivorous Plants on. I am collection also for many years.

I even have an animatronic 'Audrey 2' to show later in the year.

Gday,

Kurt Spontini

Coming along well, Kurt. I look forward to seeing it updated with your collection!

• 2 weeks later...

2012 Federated States of Micronesia

The Federated States of Micronesia is an independent sovereign island nation consisting of four states – from west to east, Yap, Chuuk, Pohnpei and Kosrae – that are spread across the Western Pacific Ocean. Together, the states comprise around 607 islands (a combined land area of approximately 702 km2 (271 sq mi)) that cover a longitudinal distance of almost 2,700 km (1,678 mi) just north of the equator.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federated_States_of_Micronesia

In 2012 issued the postal administration of Micronesia two stamp sheets with native carnivorous plants.

2012_Mikronesien_01.jpg

Sheet 1:

- Utricularia bifida l.

- Nepenthes mirabilis

2012_Mikronesien_02.jpg

Sheet 2:

- Nepenthes vieillardii

- Utricularia dichotoma

- Drosera spatulata

- Drosera burmannii

Yesterday's earthquake in Japan has shocked me, too. Therefore, it is a coincidence that today I am presenting stamps from there. Even in the land of the rising sun you can find stamps with carnivorous plants.

The first Japanese postage stamp with the motive of a carnivorous plant was issued at 8 June 1978. It shows the butterwort "Pinguicula ramosa". This stamp is a part of a series with three stamps to the flora of Japan. Such "Mexican" species there are also indigenous to the Japanese island.

Japan_1978_%20Nature%20Conservation_(19th%20series).jpg

On 1 August 1997, Japan has issued a stamp with a waterwheel plant "Aldrovanda vesiculosa". These carnivorous aquatic plant is native to swamps in the regional Hozoji (Saitama). This seems that this species will be extinct in Europe, Asia, Australia and France. Nevertheless, we still find them in Japan.

Japan1997.jpg

In 2009, a local postal service in Japan issued an 8-part series on the fauna and flora. One of this stamp shows the tropical pitcher plant Nepenthes melamphora (Reinward) = Nepenthes gymnamphora Reinw. ex Nees. Japan is not a tropical country, and you can't find one of these species. The stamp image was drawn by Ernst Haeckel (February 16, 1834 – August 9, 1919) in 1904. He was an eminent German biologist, naturalist, philosopher, physician, professor and artist. Haeckel promoted and popularized Charles Darwin's work in Germany.

2009_japan_localpost_CP.jpg

Dear Braunbear-san,

Konnichiwa! :smile:

Happy Birthday!

Sorry for my English skills, Why you wrote ""Mexican" species"?

The last one is quite interesting. Was it from Australia(Northern Territory)? Though there are two Japanese words (in Kanji: Chinese characters) in the stamp. One is just "insectivorous plant". Another(北方領土) is a word of very serious territorial issue between Russia and Japan. Or just meant 'Northern Territory'? What was the purpose of this stamp? :confused:

BTW, you will be interested in the below.

new beautiful Aussie cp stamps

http://shop.auspost....etin323_150.pdf

Kind regards from the Far East

Edited by PofW_Feathers

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Braunbear-san,

Konnichiwa! :smile:

Happy Birthday!

Sorry for my English skills, Why you wrote ""Mexican" species"?

The last one is quite interesting. Was it from Australia(Northern Territory)? Though there are two Japanese words (in Kanji: Chinese characters) in the stamp. One is just "insectivorous plant". Another(北方領土) is a word of very serious territorial issue between Russia and Japan. Or just meant 'Northern Territory'? What was the purpose of this stamp? :confused:

BTW, you will be interested in the below.

new beautiful Aussie cp stamps

http://shop.auspost....etin323_150.pdf

Kind regards from the Far East

Hello PofW_Feathers,

If I'm not mistaken, but almost all Pinguicula have their origin in the subtropical Mexico. That's I wrote "mexican" species.

Thank you very much for your information about the "Northern Territory" stamp. I can't find more further information.

Today, I show you new stamps with carnivorous plants from the african west coast: Sierra Leone!

In 2012 issued Sierra Leone two new stamp sheets with different carnivorous plants.

On the first stamp sheet is pictured the Drosera nidiformis.

2012_Sierra_Leone_01.jpg

The second stamp sheet pictures four following carnivorous plants:

- Drosophyllum lusitanicum

- Nepenthes madagascariensis

- Aldrovanda vesiculosa

- Nepenthes pervillei

2012_Sierra_Leone_02.jpg

• 1 month later...

On 13 August 2013 issued the Australian Postal Administration four different postage stamps with carnivorous plant motives. The stamp values ​​for AU $ 0.60 each were printed se-tenant sheets of 50 stamps.

Stamp Size: 26 x 37.5 mm, Perforation: 14.6 x 13.86, Printing process: Lithography. The photos were taken by Greg Bourke.

The following carnivorous plants are shown on stamp:

- Nepenthes rowanae

- Cephalotus follicularis

- Drosera rupicola

- Drosera lowriei

As pictures I have here the se-tenant of the four stamps and the maximum cards with the firstday-cancellation with motive of the pitcher plant.

Australien_2013_05.jpg

Australien_2013_01.jpg

Australien_2013_02.jpg

Australien_2013_03.jpg

Australien_2013_04.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In May this year, the Postal Administration of Malaysia issued several stamp sheets with the topic: "Wonders of the Malayan forests". Below is a stamp sheet with the pitcher plant "Nepenthes veitchii".

Pictures: Sheet (self-adhesive), First-Day-Cover from 13.05.2013

Malaysia_05_2013_01.jpg

Malaysia_05_2013_02.jpg

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd add one of my own. I hope you don't mind!!

Issued by Sierra Leone on 3rd October 2011 the International Year of the Forest, and showing Orchids of West Africa.

A Miniature sheet with stamps (each valued at Le3400) that show: Bolusiella imbricata, Bulbophyllum scaberulum, Oeceoclades maculata, Ancistrochilus rothschildianus, Sarracenia flava & Phaius sp.

SierraLeone2011_zps07670d8f.jpg

Orchids? Really?

• 2 weeks later...

2012_Mikronesien_02.jpg

Sheet 2:

- Nepenthes vieillardii

- Utricularia dichotoma

- Drosera spatulata

- Drosera burmannii

By chance I found this linked on Wikipedia. In 2006 there were only few cp pictures online and Denis Barthel who is a cp enthusiast and employee at the German Wikimedia society asked for pictures. I donated some under free license so that everyone may use them also for commercial projects...and now its a micronesian postage stamp!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Drosera_burmanni_Humpty_Doo.jpg

• 2 months later...

On April, 11. 2014 issued the postal administration of Aland (a part of Finland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85land_Islands ) a stamp with dionaea muscipula and Nepenthes bicalcarata.

You can read on the official webpage the following content:

Charity stamp Zero tolerance 
Joakim Saul is the Åland artist behind the Zero tolerance charity stamp. At 37, he has already done most and worked with some of the largest customers in the world of advertising.

When asked to create a charity stamp on behalf of Åland Post, Joakim was intrigued, especially by the challenge of communicating the sensitive anti-drug message, the quintessence of the Zero tolerance stamp. He was also attracted to the idea of designing a legal tender which, in fact, a stamp is. At first glance, the stamp bears a certain resemblance to the design of a dollar bill.

Joakim found the commission challenging, in regards of both aesthetics and communication. The objective was to make people stop and think. Anti-drug messages are generally very difficult to communicate since they may very well create a boomerang effect, in this case, make the forbidden seem more attractive. With this in mind, he fell for the idea of "temptation leading into downfall" at an early stage, illustrated by suitable symbols such as forbidden fruit, carnivorous plants and snakes.

Leaping out from all other Åland stamps, the Zero tolerance stamp should bring further attention to the serious and important matter.

Note: Started in 2013 on the initiative of the Åland Government, the Zero tolerance project aims at preventing the use of various types of drugs among young people. The non-governmental health care organization Folkhälsan på Åland acts as project manager.

Date of issue 11 April 2014 Artist Joakim Saul Edition 150 000  Denomination  €1.10+0.20  Price FDC  €1.95  Stamp size  52 x23,37 mm  Sheet size  2 x 15 stamps  Paper  102 g/m²  Perforation  13 per 2 cm  Printing method  4-colour offset  Printing house  Southern Colour Print

Source: http://www.posten.ax/stampinfo.con?iPage=2155&iLan=3

Aland+2014.jpg

Braunbear.

Those are some amazing collections. Must have took an extremely long time to collect these stamps and those details and stories behind each one. You are a true stamp collector.

Bravo to you!

Keep them coming.

Sent from my SM-N9005

• 4 weeks later...

On January 25, 2014, issued the Belgian postal administration a stamp sheet about "Fantastic Flora". The middle stamp bears the motif of a Nepenthes rafflesiana v. alata pitcher.

Offset printing, block 180, Perforated: 11 1/2 No. 4439-4443

Image: stamp sheet and the first day cover.

Block+Belgien+2014.jpg

FDC+Belgien+2014.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

from Archer15:

While looking for other stamps I found this which looks like a Nepenthes. I have not seen it on any of the CP stamps sites/forums I have looked on.

What do you think

I think this is a new stamp for this collection. Thank you for sharing the picture!

Once again I can show something new from my collection.

This time there is no stamp but a special cancellation!

You can see a postcard from Japan with special cancellation date 03/26/1927, if I'm not mistaken.

In addition to a dragonfly: flowers from utricularia (left) and sundew leaves (Drosera(right) are shown.

Japan-SST+26-03-1927.jpg

• 5 months later...

I present you one of the rarest stamp from my stamp collection of carnivorous plants. Issued in 1985, from the Ivory Coast.

The carnivorous plant is called "Triphyophyllum peltatum".

This plant is found only in some West African rain forests and is the only species of its genus in the family of Dioncophyllaceae. Accordingly, the existence is severely threatened through cut down the rainforest.

The stamp set with the plant occurs in perforated and imperforated in variant.

Elfenbeink%C3%BCste%2B1985.jpg

• 2 months later...