Heliamphora Tissue Culture

BillP

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying some tissue cultured Heliamphora in vitro from Australia.

Any views on the necessity of a Phytosanitary Certificate for import to the UK?

This will add considerably to the cost of a small order. But my plants will be no use to me if customs bung them in a furnace on arrival........

Guest Aidan

Welcome to CPUK. :wave:

Triffid Park I assume?

It seems to depend who you talk to at DEFRA. :D

As the flasks/tubes are by definition sterile I don't believe a phytosanitary certificate should be required. However, I am part of a group arranging to import some plants at the moment and the advice from DEFRA has been to get a phyto cert. I believe this is incorrect advice that will lead to unnecessary expense. However, we are getting phyto on a "just in case" basis.

Evenin' Bill,

Welcome to the mad, mad world of CPUK - some of these guys just don't sleep!!

:horseshit:

But, there again, you've worked in places with more nutters............

8)

Guest padedeji

Hi Bill

Welcome to the forum

Have you checked out the German forum or any of the German guys as they appear to be into TC and Heliamphora on a larger scale than the UK

Regards

Phil

Guest padedeji

Hi Bill

I imported some plants from malaysian tropcals and the advice that I was given by DEFRA was that a import certificate was not required and they would not be inspecting the plants on arrival into the UK, as they where for my own use and I was not selling them on

If plants are on schedule 1 of CITES then a CITES certificate is required as well

Regards

Phil

Guest padedeji

Hi Tim

DEFRA which is the UK authority that regulates animal and plant imports only check imported plants that are imported by dealers who are redistributing them, in reality the phyto certificate declares that they are pest free

Regards

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
So, the consensus is that in the UK I don't need an import permit - just the highly expensive phyto?

Wish me luck (both with the plants and officialdom!).

Good Luck!!

I'll be interested to see what you get (state of plants after a long journey) and how long it takes etc. What you getting??

8)

Hi Dunc,

I'm (hopefully!) getting H.Nutans and H.Minor, allegedly in about 2 months time.

The bod does flasks of 20 plants and I'm getting 2 of each - the major expence is the phyto so I decided to over order on plants. Should be enough to guarentee a few survivors even under my clumsy care!

The guy calls himself "Flora Laboratories", he didn't seem very professional (I had to play 20 questions to find out what he had and what it cost and he's never sent to the UK). On the other hand, his prices are a lot better than "Triffid Park".

Bill