heliamphora heterodoxa from ptari tepui

jeff 1

I don't think Stewart had ever been to Ptari until this past month (he's on a CP expedition in Venezuela right now, including Ptari), so these photos were probably taken elsewhere. I'm almost sure the germans have been on Patri, so take a look on Andreas Wistuba's or Joe Nertz's webpages.

Best wishes,

Fernando

Marcel,

How can you be sure this is the highland form? Maybe he found it in the Gran Sabana somewhere or on another mountain? I don't know. Or maybe he has been to Ptari before and I didn't know. :)

Best wishes,

Fernando

see here the gran sabana heterodoxa

http://wistuba.com/01b021930e071c31f/01b02...333144b061.html

the ptari

http://wistuba.com/01b021930e071c31f/01b02...48f0a7df12.html

I would have liked to see into macro the 2 nectar spoon with their connection on the adult pitcher to make a comparaison and define some morphologic caracters .

Edited by jeff 1

Marcel,

How can you be sure this is the highland form? Maybe he found it in the Gran Sabana somewhere or on another mountain? I don't know. Or maybe he has been to Ptari before and I didn't know. :)

Best wishes,

Fernando

I am not sure, I never said that.

I only found those pictures at his website.

OK, I think I know where the confusion comes from. The phrase below was written on Stew's website, and not by you, correct?

This is the highland form of this species from Ptari Tepui

best wishes,

Fernando

Hi all,

Stew had already been on Ptari-tepui before, and he has well seen the plants at the type location.

Jeff, the plants in cultivation from "the Gran Sabana" are just plants from a single location (i.e. a single "clone"), so are the plants from Ptari in cultivation! H. heterodoxa is probably the most widespread of all Heliamphora species, and most likely one of the most variable ones by morphological leaf characters. To compare just two different "clones" from two sites would not be a good idea, in case you want to get an overview of the morphological plasticity of that species!

I have seen lots of herbarium specimens of H. heterodoxa from all over its range now. It is very variable, not even between the different locations, but also within a single population! Lid shape and width of the lid attachment vary greatly within a population!

All the best,

Andreas

hello ANDREAS

I agree with you with this 'clone' notion only on the cultivation plants.

but my interest is in the natural taxon I would like to see those in the nature (from gran sabana and from ptari ) to make me an idea .

I agree also with this variability according to the ecology ( shade, water, etc) but perhaps we have some great mophologic caracters perenn and reproductible , you think not .

jeff

Edited by jeff 1