Utricularia Multifida In Habit. Sullivan Rock, Western Australia

Peter

Hello

I was driving back home this afternoon after a few days staying at Dryandra forrest (a post and lots of pics to follow later in the week) and we made a quick stop at Sullivan Rock and I took some photos of some of the thousands of U. multifida in bloom there. Sullivan rock is about 75 kilometers southeast of Perth, Western Australia beside the Albany highway. It's a large granite monolith surrounded by jarrah/marri forrest and it is is partially covered by moss beds that are home to lots of interesting plants.

Unfortunately it was a very wet and wild day and I was only able to spend 10 minutes having a look around and trying to snap a few pics between downpours, so my apologies for fuzzy photos.

1432381922_db81fbcbb3.jpg for a clearer view this photo is best viewed large. The pink flowers are the U. multifida - the grey flecks are lichen - the spikey plants is borya or resurrection plant, and there are a few lemon-scented sun orchids (Thelymitra antennifera) in the mix as well.

1431512109_ef47993352.jpg A close up of the flowers - locally know as pink petticoats. There is a larger view here.

1432385984_db6909c1a1.jpg and from the side. larger view here.

The other common name for these plants is fairy aprons but I have always thought that they look like tiny bright pink space ships. :wink:

The other common name for these plants is fairy aprons but I have always thought that they look like tiny bright pink space ships. :shock:

I thought it was U. dichotoma that is "Fairy Aprons"? It would make more sense as the flower is apron shaped.

Great pics, Peter! Thanks for sharing.

I also think the common name is different, I thought of "pink pettycoats"? Anyway, a great species. Had some flowers this year, from March to now it was/is constantly in flower. Nothing compaired to this sight of course.

Regards

Martin

Thanks everyone for your comments.

re the common name

I thought it was U. dichotoma that is "Fairy Aprons"?
I also think the common name is different

We had this plant growing in the ditch outside of the house i grew up in, until we became a little more "civilized" and the ditch was filled in and the road widened. My Mother always called them fairy aprons, probably just one of the vagaries of common names among the people who live where the plants actually grow, they often don't know the "official" common name and so many of the names we had for local plants are so very different to those I see books these days.

• 2 months later...