Pygmy Venus Flytraps

HugoMorse

Back in July 2007, I received two new forms of Pygmy Venus Fly Traps; DM14/1 and DM16/3. I do not know anything about the origin of these plants (I was told that there was a family tree but never managed to obtain a copy) and was told that they prefer natural sunlight and shadier conditions. The bags that the plants came in were unlabelled but I was told that DM14/1 was the more vigorous one so identified them that way.

The first photo is one I took was back in July when I received the plants. Based on the above information, DM16/3 are the plants in the bottom left. They did not resemble a VFT at all. They looked more likes the leaves of a terrestrial untric and were very pale green with miniscule traps (not much larger than a pin point - not the pin head). The plant eventually died and I did not find the right conditions to look after it. It seemed a very weak clone and more information is needed on its conditions.

DM14/1, the plants in the backrow, were much more vigorous. After trying many different conditions, I found that it excels in when mostly smoothered by live sphagnum moss. The plants exposed to artificial light or strong sunlight did not seem to survive but those in much shadier conditions were fine. It also seems to excel in tropical conditions (much like Cudo). To say that the plant is tiny is understatement. Following is a photo I took yesterday of a plant growing in a slurry of sphagnum moss. (It is actually in a propogator on my windowsill meant purely to grow moss in but the plant loves it in there so he can stay!) The plant gets diffused sunlight throughout most of the day (through double glazing and then through the propogator). The heat and humidity in there must be immense as the propogator walls are completely covered in condensation and the base is very warm to the touch. The coin in the photo is a 5p piece to show just how small the plant actually is. I have some growing outside in my coldframe covered by live sphagnum moss who seem quite happy.

The other plants in the first photo (bottom right) are Typ Pygmy. It is very robust and beatiful pygmy that is strong enough to allow to flower (I am not convinced by the other types). Typ Pygmy is also a much larger plant than DM14/1. I have just purchased some more pygmy's (different clones) so will update on those once I have them.

By starting this thread, I was hoping to discuss in more detail the different pygmy clones available, their growing conditions and so on. I appreciate that they must only be in a handfull of collections.

DM14/1, DM16/1 and Typ Pygmy

DSmallMutants-2007-07-06SMALL.jpg

DM14/1 in Propogator

DDM14-1Pygmy022008-05-31SMALL.jpg

Typ Pygmy

DTypPygmy2007-04-0701SMALL.jpg

DTypPygmy2007-05-1901SMALL.jpg

Edited by HugoMorse

• 1 year later...

I thought it was a about time I updated this thread with new photo's and information. (I have updated the first post too).

Typ. Pygmy

This is the most robust miniature form I grow. It is a strong clone and gets excellent colouration both inside and outside of the trap. The adult plant is only a few cm's across. The teeth are very slim.

DTypPygmy2008-08-1702SMALL.jpg

DTypPygmy2008-08-1701SMALL.jpg

DM14/1

This is the most unique of the pygmy forms I grow. It is very similar in size and growth to Typ. Pygmy. Traditionally, I have grown this plant shrouded in moss (I was told it likes shadier conditions) but am now growing them more exposed to see how they perform. So far, they do not colour as deeply or as much as Typ. Pygmy. What really separates this clone is the teeth. They appear fuzzy and the traps can exhibit two different types of teeth. The slim teeth seem to grow away from each other to form the outline of a triangle... Don't worry, the picture will show you what I mean!!! New traps, on the other hand, seem to start with triangular teeth similiar to those on Red Piranha. Melly now has one of these forms, so it increases the chances of circulating the form to other growers.

DDM14-1SmallMutant2008-08-1702SMALL.jpg

Typ Pygmy is in the background as a comparison.

DDM14-1SmallMutant2008-08-1703SMALL.jpg

DDM14-1SmallMutant2008-08-1701SMALL.jpg

SL023

I have only been growing this form for a few months and it took a while to settle and start growing. Nearly all of the original growth had died back (bar one leaf seen in the photo's) with new growth taking its place. The colour and shape of the new growth is very different to its old growth, but the plant has had to adapt to its new environment and conditions. The clone is from Stefan and is called Yellow Pygmy Sawtooth. Until the plant matures, so I can see its adult growth, I can only describe its current growth. I expect that like the other yellow forms, the colour may vary on the season. The teeth do not resemble the traditional sawtooth clones either at the moment and, generally, appear very slim and, well, like a normal VFT! This may be seasonal too, like the Dentate foms. Ironically, the teeth on DM14/1 would make a good pygmy sawtooth.

DSL023PygmyYellowSawtooth2008-08-1.jpg

DSL023PygmyYellowSawtooth2008-08-17.jpg

I love these pygmy VFTs. To be honest, I have a preference to miniature plants, which is why I like growing Utricularia. To me, these pygmy forms hold more interest that the likes of B52. I also love the red moss you have them growing in :wink:

Definately.

I have seen photo's of Typ. Pygmy in flower but the others on this thread are to rare to know at the moment. The Neotenics pygmies I purchased arrived in flower but the plants were incredibly weak and are only now recovering.

I would love to cross them.