Amorphophallus a bit like CPs!

flycatchers

By that I mean they take me back to the early days of growing CP's when they all died! :D

Growing CP's was a learning curve, and with some I am still learning :D

But Amorphophallus have me baffled for the moment. My Titan germinated really quickly and looked great for several months them collapsed. Might be dormant but judging from the seed/tuber rot is more likely.

Now my Amorphophallus gigas seedling has gone the same way. I grew this one in my lowland tank where it germinated and grew really well. Started sending a second leaf up. Looked fine the other day and them today I wondered why it was on its side :cry: More rot. In both cases I have been very careful with watering and in the case of the gigas never watered it as the humidity of the tank did that for me. I am still puzzled as to why it had done so well and without anything changing BANG its dead!

I use a mix of peat/sand/perlite and orchid bark in the compost and try and keep it as open as possible. Any ideas? As I hope that rather like CP's once you come across the right formula its plain sailing! Or perhaps not!! :wink:

cheers

bill

cheers

bill

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Dear

Another titan seedling and gigas have gone the same way :cry: Not many left now... I have tried growing both in open & tank conditions. And kept the compost on the dry side. The ones in the tank were doing great with extensive root systems. But the rot develops just where the leave goes into the seedling/tuber. The first titan tuber has partly rotted but I have cleaned it up and allowed it to dry out. The other gigas has gone altogether! The second titan has wilted but still joined to the tiny tuber. Don't hold up much hope... At least there was never any risk of them running out of space!! :D

cheers

bill