Discovery in Viet Nam part 1 !

Hi Mr Son - good to hear from you.

Some very nice plants in these pic's. :tu:

I suspect most (if not all) the short tendriled pitchers are N. smilesii, I have seen an almost identical one to Number 1 before - but this is a form I really like, with the bulbous (fat) bottom.

I'll be interested to hear others opinions on the long tendrils.

That number 8 is FANTASTIC, I really like it whatever it is :heart:

Are these all growing together, or fairly close ? there may be some hybrids amongst them.

Many thanks for showing us.

I look forward to PART 2 !

Mr Son - I think you are saying that N. smilesii is a highland species, so these can't be smilesii.

But N. smilesii is know to grow from 200masl to around 1400masl and could easily be found higher or lower. I believe it is actually more common in lowland, than highland (although possibly not in Vietnam, where some of it's highest populations seem to be found). Also, as in grows in many isolated areas, there do seem to be slightly different pitcher shapes between many different populations - but they are still smilesii.

Number 1 is almost certainly smilesii.

Edited by Phil Green

Hi,

Could the first plant possibly be N. kampotiana?

However, it seems to be lot of variation in N. smilesii, only going by the pictures that I have seen (I don't grow this species myself).

The lowers 2-6 does look quite similar to some Thailand N. smilesii that Francois have posted photos of before.

Interesting also seeing the differences in the upper pitchers. The first one look more what I would expect from an IC species, but the infundibular uppers look rather interesting.

Whatever it is, the one with the stocky reddish lower pitcher is a real beauty.

Thanks for posting,

Christer

Could the first plant possibly be N. kampotiana?

No, that has longer tendrils and just looks different - some of the long tedril ones could be though.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if a few more species are found in Vietnam, as it is so little explored.

Mr Son - as well as these nice pictures of the pitchers. Could you also take and show us detailed pictures of the plant to help in identification. Close up photo's of how the leaf attaches to the stem; close ups of the pitcher and the leaf to show if either do or don't have hairs. Without this extra details it not easy to know what species is found or even if a possible new species - pitcher shapes can be variable.

Edited by Phil Green

• 2 weeks later...

Photo take from Tay Ninh pro !

Have new many unknow spec Nepenthes in wild

1/ L/P

DSC05854.JPG

U/P

DSC05856.JPG

DSC05829.JPG

Dear Son,

I think you new mystery plant looks rather similar to this one I used to grow:

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~dpevans/Nepenthes/N_gracilis_hybrid.htm

You have several photos depicting N. smilesii, but some are clearly something else as well... N. smilesii is very widespread and variable, it is like the N. maxima of Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.