flood and drain

Hi There

Would a conventional flood and drain systems be any could for cultivating carnivorous plants?

the flood cycles would provide plenty of water and the fast draining medium will provide plenty of oxygen to the roots.

There is no reason why the principal of f and d should not work, but the media and frequency of flooding may need to be carefully thought out and adapted to suit the plants.

I would not stick to standard pure hydroponic practices.

(this is something I would like to employ in my new setup)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link mobile ,I'm going to give this stuff ago

http://www.growstone.com/customers/soil-blending/

as it consists of recycled glass bottles it should not afect the PH like perlite and clay balls

And this added bonus http://www.growstone.com/technology/fungus-gnat-eradication/

Edited by marko

I am also interested / curious by hydroponic cultivation.

It is possible. I've seen it done on youtube and various other sources. Although I have never seen it work long term.

It could work in a DWC (Deep water culture) hydro setup in Hydroton set with a low (acidic) pH and very very little to no nutrients (0-15ppm TDS). I'm sceptical about a true flood and drain system working with some carnivorous plants as leaving their roots exposed for any length of time is bad in my opinion. Therefore, I think DWC or similar would be preferble to F+D, at least in DWC the roots are always in water (under an oxygen enriched air stone).

Sterile hygiene and hydro go hand in hand and because rainwater is notoriously impure and thriving with bad things. I would use RO only if attempting this.

:hi:

Edited by Heisenberg

It could work in a DWC (Deep water culture) hydro setup in Hydroton set with a low (acidic) pH and very very little to no nutrients (0-15ppm TDS). I'm sceptical about a true flood and drain system working with some carnivorous plants as leaving their roots exposed for any length of time is bad in my opinion. Therefore, I think DWC or similar would be preferble to F+D, at least in DWC the roots are always in water (under an oxygen enriched air stone).

I had a mini DWC VFT setup, see here: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31887

I'm thinking of hooking a thermostat to the pump so it only gets a timed flood when its warm.

also for the media i did a ph test on some slate chippings from a abandoned Slate Quarry nere me which were about 5.5

For a natural buffer I thought to use alder cones to keep PH down in the reservoir.

Edited by marko

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...