Giving Ceph leaf cuttings a go

David Ahrens

The Cephalotus that I bought a few months ago is doing well so I decided to take a few leaf cuttings.I mixed up two parts peat to one of sand and pulled four non carnivorous leaves from my plant and buried the petioles up to halfway up the leaves. I used two pots with four leaves and I hope that this works.

According to people on the forum, they tend to root quite easily.

I've had a 98% success rate with my last few. Just lost a leaf or two when the very hot weather started. Good luck with yours.

Mine are put straight on to 50/50 peat perlite mix. I keep them in a small propagator tub on the windowsill. 

I root them first in live sphagnum and after they formed roots, then I repot them in peat based potting mix. For my climate and conditions doesn't work putting cuttings/pulls straight in peat mix - always I get rot.

Here are recently rooted some cuttings from Cephalotus "Squat", a USA clone which I found quite slow for rooting...

hi dimitar, can i ask what  is your place condition like? Humidity, temp,wind and light? I too face rot in pulling often.

i use Indian plastic food trays,they work too :wink: and like Dimitri says they seem to be more successful in cooler conditions,live sphagnum seems to have mystic properties ,i plan to take more in the Autumn when temps cool down ,pitcher cuttings  also seem to be successful with this method 

Edited by corky
  • Like 1