My Firstest Flower!!!

kenmc

Hi all,

my ping (unknown, think it's a mexican - obtained in the local garden center) has just started to grower a flower stalk. It's currently about 1 inch or so tall. Now here's the dilemma - I'm going on holidays on Saturday for a little over a week - my girlf will be minding them all for me though, but is it likely to be ready to pollinate inside that time? How will we know when it's ready? What do we have to do in order to make it seed???

I'll try post pictures of it soon....

Cheers

Ken

I expect your flower will still be usable when you get back - they tend to last quite well if not pollinated.

When I want seed I just keep attempting to pollinate the flowers each day until the petals fall.

When I have more than one flower on a plant I transfer pollen between them (A flower may not be receptive when it's own pollen is ripe).

Some pings cannot self pollinate - you might need a different clone.

Depending on the species or hybrid (and growing conditions), the flower may still not be fully opened when you come back.

If you grow a hybrid, pollination is likely to be not successfull anyway. That's at least my experience.

Good luck

Even though the flower is not yet fully opened, it is almost certain from the diamond-shaped leaves and the origins of this Ping, that it is the hybrid commonly sold as P. 'Weser'.

Be warned though, that these plants do not fit the original description of this cultivar and opinions differ on their identity; another P. moranensis x ehlersiae, P. 'Sethos' or an F2 hybrid, produced by selfing P. 'Weser', have all been suggested on CPUK and elswhere as possible identities for these plants.

Vic

Hi, This is Ken's girlfriend here.

That sticky plant has a huge flower now ... how am I supposed to pollinate it? (It has fully opened)

Any help would be appreciated - my life won't be worth living otherwise :o)

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

http://www.pbase.com/image/30682359

http://www.pbase.com/image/30682360

http://www.pbase.com/image/30682361

here's a few pics of the first few flowers. Currently 1 flower wilting and/or fertilized. 2 up hopefully fertilized, and 3 little buds ready to come up later....

Do you still think that it is P. 'Weser'.???

Cheers

Ken