Which plant is best for me?

Hey all, I havent been in touch with any forums after my summer disaster! I left my plants out all winter to freeze and sadly it looks like they're all going to die. However I kept my capensis out of dormancy as you should and only watered it a bit as the soil stayed more moist for longer. So I'm after expanding my window sill collection and finding a neighbour for my capensis that can live under the same conditions. I'm not just after another sundew, it can be any type of carnivorous plant.

Many thanks,

Hayden

You might want to consider some highland Nepenthes such as Nep; Mikei, Sanguinea, Ovata, Singalana..and etc. Or even some Drosera Adelae,or even some Heliamphoras, and some pings and some Utrics.

Im not really into neps, so ill give them a miss. Heli's are difficult to care for apparently, im not spending alot of time on them like I used to.

Drosera, Utrics and Pings sound good, could anyone suggest me a few names that would be good under my care please?

I would try Cephalotus if I was you. It's nowhere near as difficult to grow as some people will have you think. A sunny windowsill and keeping the soil moist is all I provide most of mine. I stand them in a saucer/tray of water which I keep topped up in summer and allow to empty before refilling in winter.

Cool, and do cephs have a dormancy?

I have a south facing window, so yes it's very sunny

Harris, yes it is me :) Hope you're all doing good, I miss being part of the community but I had too many disasters that year

Great to be in touch with you again Hayden! :) I was squirtoman on the FTC forums (I changed it to Daniel_G tho')

i think a prostrate Sarracenia, or a ceph would do great, i know a guy who grows cephs in a outdoor greenhouse all year, in reading, so you should be fine with one :)

Also mexican pinguicula are nice, P x Weser and P x Tina are nice, maybe a moranesis if you don't want mexican :)

I grow alot on mywindowsill, and have a N. Alata growing great, with no misting, they are quite good, even tho' you don't like em' i think it's worth giving it a try ;)

I find that Darlingtonia go quite well on a windowsill actually, the seedlings don't mind the same temps all dy, but they like wet soil, so it may be worth trying them, who knows?

Good luck finding some new plants for your windowsill

Cool, and do cephs have a dormancy?

I have a south facing window, so yes it's very sunny

They don't really have a dormancy as such, the growth does slow down in winter though and they tend to put out more leaves rather than pitchers then. The pitchers remain all year though, unlike VFT traps which totally die off in winter. A south facing windowsill would be great. You might want to consider trying a common Utricularia, such as the ubiquitous U. sandersonii.

Generally speaking, the best plants for a window sill are those that are sub-tropical. Your window sill won't be cold enough for temperate plants, (requiring a dormancy) and it won't be hot and humid enough or have an agreeable photoperiod for tropical plants. A lot of the South American sundews (capensis, natalensis, aliciae,...) would do well enough, as well P. primuliflora, D. adelae, D. binata,... A lot of utrics would also do well and Mexican pings.

Edited by jimscott

Generally speaking, the best plants for a window sill are those that are sub-tropical. Your window sill won't be cold enough for temperate plants, (requiring a dormancy) and it won't be hot and humid enough or have an agreeable photoperiod for tropical plants. A lot of the South American sundews (capensis, natalensis, aliciae,...) would do well enough, as well P. primuliflora, D. adelae, D. binata,... A lot of utrics would also do well and Mexican pings.

He's in UK...if it is an outdoors windowsill (I highly recommend this) anything that requires dormancy is 100% fine...I have a selection of sarra and sundew/vft's all doing well....even after last years particularly bad winter