Some tough Pinguicula plants

Joseph Clemens

Curiously enough, here are photos of some species that have responded most quickly to the return of normal growing conditions, after almost four years of nearly total dryness.

Pinguicula rectifolia -->

P_rectifolia_Jan2011.JPG

Pinguicula reticulata -->

P_reticulata_19Jan2011.JPG

Pinguicula gracilis -->

P_gracilis.jpg

Pinguicula moctezumae x Pinguicula gigantea -->

P_m_x_g_Jan2011.jpg

The Pinguicula gypsicola, below is just now growing back into its winter rosette. Some others have only grown very abbreviated summer leaves, for a few years now.

P_gypsicola_Jan2011.jpg

Some varieties of Pinguicula seem to be so prolific (via intrinsic vegetative modes), that it seems difficult to maintain one plant to one pot. Pingiucula gracilis, Pinguicula reticulata, Pinguicula esseriana, and Pinguicula rotundiflora seem to be particularly noteworthy for this behavior.

That's amazing Joseph, they look like they couldn't be happier. I've never really grown pings and only just recently got my first one in many years (P. laueana). But Pinguicula look like succulents so I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised that they can handle aridity. Do the species in your pictures experience that degree of drought in their natural habitat?

Though I've heard that there is winter dryness in many Mexican Pinguicula species habitats. I have not witnessed it myself. The best first-hand accounts I've read of these plants in their native habitats was the "Postcards" from Fernando Rivadavia, as seen here on pinguicula.org.. There are many of these postcards from Fernando and I highly recommend checking them out if you're interested in these plants.

My own preferred growing techniques are described here. I only permitted this extended period of forced dryness on my own collection, because my wife and I were dealing with a series of unexpected health issues that kept us preoccupied for an extended period of time. As can be seen in the narrative of my cultivation methods, I strictly prefer to avoid any intentional drying when cultivating these plants.

Here are another few photos of more species showing good recovery:

Pinguicula jaumavensis (or it might be Pinguicula debbertiana - I misplaced the label from this pot) -->

P_jaumavensis_22Jan2011-or_P_debbertiana.jpg

A tray of Pinguicula jaumavensis, before they were unintentionally neglected -->

P_jaumavensis_20Dec05.jpg

Pinguicula laueana -->

P_laueana_22Jan2011.jpg

Pinguicula esseriana -->

P_esseriana_22Jan2011.jpg

Pinguicula rotundiflora -->

P_rotundiflora_22Jan2011.jpg

Not surprised to see P. moctezumae x gigantea in there.

It is a terrific fly-catcher too, even if not the prettiest of the pings. I don't know anyone - even beginners without a reliable rainwater supply - who are able to kill it without a fight!! :suicide:

Definitely my favourite ping so far.

Vic