Help Nepenthes Rebecca Soper

pink-betty

Hi firstly I want to explain that I am a complete beginner and new to the forum and need help as I only have a few plants as I have only just started with carnivorous plants.

Firstly am I right in thinking you can get these to grow with cuttings?, If so I need the best and most successfull way from start to finish to get my only cutting of nepenthes Rebecca Soper to grow there are 3 leaves on the cutting and its from the top of the stem, and I have never done this before with a carnivorous plant and have limited knowledge at best. My friend who works in the garden centre cut it off for me as they are selling the plants at £40 each for a large one but I couldnt afford to spend £40 on a plant right now especially as i'm new to these plants and it might die on me.

So I have my cutting right now in mostly water and some carnivorous mix I bought and its been 2 days in there, as this is my only shot at getting it to take and I wont be able to get any more cuttings as I have no plant to take it from, has anyone got a full proof way to get this to work as the plants themselves looked great in the garden centre I fell in love it with it and I would love to have one so looking so big and beautiful someday.

Hi,

There's no full proof way to succeed with a cutting, although having one from the top of a stem (that already has a growing tip) makes it more likely to succeed.

Your 'carnivorous plant mix' might be mostly peat, but nepenthes are a bit unusual in the CP world in not being bog plants, so maybe pure sphagnum or something might be better. To prevent moisture loss, you should cut all the fully mature leaves in half with a clean pair of scissors, and cover the pot with a transparent plastic bag to increase the humidity. Put the cutting somewhere that gets a good amount of natural sunlight but no DIRECT sunlight whatsoever. Otherwise I think its mostly down to luck.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi,

On my cuttings of Rebecca Soper I cut the end of the stem with a sharp knife at an angle. I them notched the end of the cutting. This encourages it to split down the sides where the new roots will hopefully develop. I put mine in my usual neps mix of Long fibre sphagnum & orchid bark or perlite. I don't personally use any rooting powder/liquid as for me that seems to prevent rooting. I tend to leave the leaves intact but you could cut the lower ones and reduce their size. Mine are growing in a cool light position. Once potted don't be tempted to keep checking for roots. New strong growth is a positive sign that it is starting to root. Good luck!

cheers

bill

Hi thanks guys for the replies.

I have a question you say make a notch or notches on the stem can you explain how and where to do these I have no idea what you mean sorry.

Do you cover yours with anything I mean if I spray it and keep it humid do I need to cover it or wiill it be ok if kept humid and misted enough.

Edited by pink-betty

Hi thanks guys for the replies.

I have a question you say make a notch or notches on the stem can you explain how and where to do these I have no idea what you mean sorry

If you use a sharp knife and cut into the outer layer of the stem at the base a couple of times. The cuts can be quite small and around the stem going upwards. This allows the outer part of the stem to split and this is where new roots will emerge.

cheers

bill

If you use a sharp knife and cut into the outer layer of the stem at the base a couple of times. The cuts can be quite small and around the stem going upwards. This allows the outer part of the stem to split and this is where new roots will emerge.

cheers

bill

Thanks for quick response just done that now and placed it back I put it in sphagnum moss not live though is this ok? I have two options of where to put it now I have a normal pot with a mix of Sphag moss and Carnivorous plant compost or a large propogator filled with the same mix but mainly sphagnum moss.

Can you advise what in your opinion would be the best place to put it now.

Hi,

Your cutting still has a couple of leaves which is normal - so cut 'em in half. When you remove a leaf though, it's probably best to cut it off cleanly rather than pull it off.

Your sphagnum mix is probably the best one. Anyway, once you've decided how to go about treating your cutting, leave it alone and don't mess with it anymore. It might succeed or it might not, and it might be many months until you know for sure one way or the other. But I've found that worrying doesn't help either me or the cutting, although its perfectly normal :-)

Cheers,

Tim

Flycatchers was looking at your website but couldn't see any prices on there you have a few plants I would be interested in.

Hi which ones are looking for?

I am currently sorting through my colletion and will have some spares for sale. Been behind all season updating my site :shock:

I would put your cutting in its own pot so you can carry on growing once (hopefully) it roots and does not need to be disturbed again. If you are growing them indoors I would suggest a light but not directly sunny spot till you are certain it is growing. My cuttings are usually kept the shady end of my greenhouse.

Though I have had some ventricosa x inermis cuttings root and grow on when left in a water tray outside and forgotten about!!

cheers

bill

Hi which ones are looking for?

I am currently sorting through my colletion and will have some spares for sale. Been behind all season updating my site :sun_bespectacled:

I would put your cutting in its own pot so you can carry on growing once (hopefully) it roots and does not need to be disturbed again. If you are growing them indoors I would suggest a light but not directly sunny spot till you are certain it is growing. My cuttings are usually kept the shady end of my greenhouse.

Though I have had some ventricosa x inermis cuttings root and grow on when left in a water tray outside and forgotten about!!

cheers

bill

I would like a Cephalotus Follicularis and Nepenthes Rajah, once you know what spares you have let me know as I have a very small collection im always looking to add to it.