South-African Drosera - identify, please

Georg

Dear all,

Ive been travelling in South Africa in September. What I brought home were lots of pictures of BEAUTIFUL PLANTS :-), however I need your help when it comes to identifying the species. Let's start with the species found on Capetown's Tafelberg. I was told that D. trinervia and D. cuneifolia grow there.

This is what I found (please refer to image numbers when replying):

(1a) D. cuneifolia?

tafelberg_cuneifolia_IMG_2601.JPG

(1b) D. cuneifolia?

tafelberg_cuneifolia_IMG_2606.JPG

This is how they grow:

Tafelberg

Tafelberg

Let's stay on the Tafelberg. Is this D. trinervia?

(2) D. trinervia?

tafelberg_IMG_2576.JPG

We move on, along coast of the False Bay until we reach Hermanus, location of Roridula gorgonias and D. slackii!

However there we also find some other Drosera species.

Again, let's start with Drosera trinervia - at least, my guide told me it's D. trinervia. Do you agree?

(3) D. trinervia? (Hermanus)

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

Also, I was told that Drosera aliciea grows here. What's your opinion? I know D. aliciae, but only my own horticulturally grown plants which differ from those:

(4) D. aliciae?

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_3307.JPG

From my point of view, this is not D. aliciae. But I'm eager to hear your opinions.

Still in Hermanus, Fernkloof Nature Reserve, we stumbled upon this plant:

(5) D. unknown 1

IMG_3285.JPG

and also this one seems to be a hybrid:

(6) D. unknown 2

IMG_3351.JPG

If you're an expert on the field of Drosera, I'd appreciate your help.

Please also consider the following species: Drosera esterhuysenae is known to grow there. Christian Dietz mentioned D. curviscapa which is sometimes referred to as D. aliciae. There's a related thread which might be helpful: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...opic=23780&

Edited by Georg

Hello Georg,

1a shows both D. cuneifolia (large, green) and D. aliciae (reddish leaves) growing sympatrically.

1b is D. cuneifolia.

2 and 3 are D. trinervia.

4 are that D. spec. nov., which still is lacking a name, and which has been distributed in cultivation as "D. aliciae 'Hermanus'", D. sp. 'Hermanus, or D. curviscapa.

5 is D. admirabilis

6 is D. esterhuyseniae.

All the best,

Andreas

Wow, that was a fast reply Andreas, thank you! It turns out I've seen even more species than I've thought at first, great news :-) It's also surprising to hear that D. aliciae is growing next to D. cuneifolia. My unexperienced eyes considered all plants on photo 1a as one species, namely D. cuneifolia.

Maybe I've got even species in my collection of photos, you never know... :-) thanks again!

If somebody of you guys is in Southafrica, don't miss the chance to see D. capensis. When I was in Hermanus, the location was covered by a lake.

Best regards

Georg

Edited by Georg

• 4 weeks later...

stunning pictures!

Those plants look amazing.

Wow, that was a fast reply Andreas, thank you! It turns out I've seen even more species than I've thought at first, great news :-) It's also surprising to hear that D. aliciae is growing next to D. cuneifolia. My unexperienced eyes considered all plants on photo 1a as one species, namely D. cuneifolia.

Maybe I've got even species in my collection of photos, you never know... :-) thanks again!

If somebody of you guys is in Southafrica, don't miss the chance to see D. capensis. When I was in Hermanus, the location was covered by a lake.

Best regards

Georg