Webbing & Aphids on Nepenthes

Sigesti

I was watering my terrarium nepenthes recently when I noticed some strangeness on it.

The first one is an issue which has been there for a bit of time, but has never really seemed like too much of a problem. There is a thin chaotic webbing around the base of the plant. Some of it is on the plant itself, but that seems more coincidental. Whatever's making it appears to prefer the ground around the plant. Now, I've seen this before on my nepenthes before, and the first time I saw it I noticed a spider there as well. Overall, I figured the spider wouldn't hurt *that* much, as I mostly feed my pitchers manually. I've had spider mites before (not on these plants though), and I don't see any mites scrounging around, nor do the plants seem to be wilting. I figured I'd post it here for comment to see if I'm off base.

web.jpg'

The second issue are what i believe are aphids. Tiny little yellow/green fat bodies mostly on the new growth. Based on something I read, I just took a capensis tendril and ran it all over the plant picking up as many of the little blighters as I could find. Should I do more for the plant? Should I quarantine it away from the other plants?

aphids.jpg

I'd appreciate any insight!

Edited by Sigesti

"Now, I've seen this before on my nepenthes before, and the first time I saw it I noticed a spider there as well. Overall, I figured the spider wouldn't hurt *that* much, as I mostly feed my pitchers manually. I've had spider mites before (not on these plants though), and I don't see any mites scrounging around, nor do the plants seem to be wilting."

Mites can damage plants, but as far as I know they don't spin web. So what you've got is probably just a spider, which won't hurt the plant and will help protect it against pests. So I reckon it's best to just leave it alone.

Edited by Tim Caldwell

Mites can damage plants, but as far as I know they don't spin web. So what you've got is probably just a spider, which won't hurt the plant and will help protect it against pests. So I reckon it's best to just leave it alone.

I should have been more clear, I've dealt with spider mites in the past. Those little nasties like webs.

• 2 months later...

all my cps are outside, so I have had major aphid problems and the best advice I can give you is to catch spiders and encourage them to live on your plants, as far as I have noticed they live quite happily hidden under the leaves and eat anything that shouldn't be there. Also only select small spiders (money spiders and baby house spiders) or they will take food from your plants. Hope that helps :)

[quote

Red spider mite is so called because 1 it appears red and 2 it spins (for want of a better word) web!

However, as stated by others In this instance it is just harmless spider activity and the aphids can be dealt with by use of insecticides.

Edited by Dicon