I Need An Eriocaulaceae Id

kisscool_38

Hello!

Identification of Eriocaulaceae down to species level is usally not possible without dissection the flower heads under a binocular. Important characters to note then are length the petals are united into a corolla tube, trichomes (sometimes even how much cells the trichomes are composed of can be a character needed to tell species apart!), anther colour and number of stamens and styles. Unless you have a very very very good macro lens, you cannot even tell the genus from a flower only.

Leaves are usually more helpfull for genera delimination in Eriocaulaceae. For example, your plant is very likely to be a species of Paepalanthus.

Sheila, this is for sure not Lachnocaulon anceps ;) Lachnocaulon anceps has linear leaves, which are much more narrow than in the plant on the photograph, and it's scapes are usually densely covered with hairs (only exceptionally glabrous). And rosettes of L. anceps are much more compact, it's rather forming clumps or tufts of leaves than upright growing stems with long internodes.

Kisscool_38, did you buy this plant in a garden centre (then it's most likely Paepalanthus tortilis, which is commonly cultivated and distributed under a lot of false names ;)) or is it surely from Brazil? In case you are interested in it's ID, you could send me some flower heads for identification.

All the best,

Andreas

Thank you Sheila and Andreas.

Andreas, I'll try to take some photos with my binocular if possible and do the required measurements but I don't have any dichotomic key for ID. I got it from a botanical garden, they told me they got it from Brazil several years ago, and they'll try to find back on their documents where it comes from exactly.

I'll send you flower heads so you have a PM ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sending the dried flower heads, they arrived well for me today.

Now that I have dissected them using a binocular, I can definitely say that this IS Paepalanthus tortilis. (Flowers are unisexual, stamens 3, petals of pistillate flowers free, anthers dorsifixed --> Paepalanthus. To identify the species was easier, as I could guess most leaf and stem meassurements from your photographs ;)).

All the best, Andreas