Is This A Butterwort?

armyranger10a

I bought sundew seeds a while ago. None grew but a few leaves that i thought were weeds. They have been growing for a long time now and i noticed they are low to the ground and are a pinkish green color starting to grow a 3rd leaf. All the pics of butterworts ive seen look like this. This is the pic

possiblebutterwortkq7.th.jpg

Do you know the bassic cultivation of them ?

I have killed them in the past from over watering,

other than that they grow &self propogate easy. :thumbsup:

Edited by jm82792

for basics I'll say:

light: as much as you can (watch out if they're in closed container you don't want to boil them!)

soil: soil should be humid, but not wet

for more advanced cultivation tips try searching pinguicula forum with 'mexican' or 'cultivation' keywords . Search .... such a useful feature :)

Mexican butterworts are reall easy to propogate, so long as you aren't drowning or fryinmg them. Just as it is with Nep mixes, there are a variety of ping mixes. Your basics of peat, sand, LFS, and Perlite work well. They do well ate window sills, open tray. They attain better color under artificial lighting. They attained decent light, or not, by being at window sills that have a screen (no wondow). At least they were getting some direct sunlight, enough to turn pink or purple. I water when the tray" is dry. I had mine this past winter in an unheated stairway, where most of them develped the short, stubby leaves. And when spring came they transition back to the longer, wider leaves. Here's an obvious example:

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0104-1.jpg