Grow Dionaea from Seed

LJ

There's that thread! Yeah, what Brad did, is what I did, without knowing he had done it. One thing to take into consideration is that you have to balance decent lighting on that approach and avoiding "greenhouse effect", which would cook the leaves. I learned that the hard way by having them at a SW window sill, in the summer. Having them on an eastern sill works better. Artificial lighting doesn't cook them. Also, it is a good idea to change out the water every few days, or at least when and if you notice cloudiness or mold.

Also, it is a good idea to change out the water every few days, or at least when and if you notice cloudiness or mold.

Use deionised water instead . Had my VFT cuttings in it for about 3-4 months and never went cloudy or moldy :shock:

Duane

Funny thing is that I was using centrifuge tubes at the lab in which I worked....and deionized water. My experience is that after awhile, some tubes still ot cloudy. But maybe that was due to a leaf that was no longer viable.

Guest RustyKnee

Hi

I see this is a recent thread. I am interested in getting a venus fly trap. I will probaly buy a grown plant, but would also like to try growing from seed. Is now a good time to plant some?

Cheers,

Stu

Guest Aidan

If you have viable seed, yes. The weather has now warmed up (hah! :P ) and seedlings will have the whole of the summer growing season ahead of them.

Guest RustyKnee
If you have viable seed, yes. The weather has now warmed up (hah! :P ) and seedlings will have the whole of the summer growing season ahead of them.

Cool

Is it luck as to whether the seed is viable or is there more to it?

Stu

Guest Aidan

It depends where you get it... :P

Dionaea seed has a very short life if not correctly stored. Viability falls off rapidly and all seed will be dead approximately 100 days after harvest. The freshest seed available now will have been harvested last summer and the maths of the situation isn't difficult to figure out.

The kits that may be purchased should be avoided. They may have been sculling around indefinitely and few people report success.

Guest Aidan

Sheila - I certainly don't have a definitive answer, but a research paper published in the 50's offered the conclusion that dried and chilled seed may remain viable "apparently indefinitely".

Guest Sheila

Thanks, worth knowing. I have a good reason for asking as you know. I've just bought a mini fridge and some nice big bags of silica to make sure the seed is kept dry, so I hope it will keep for a long time.

That absorbent polymer stuff would desiccate seeds very fast just put the seeds in a jar then put a bit of the absorbent polymer powder in a tea bag or something like that keeping in mind it will swell up,then after putting in the polymer screw the lid shut and put in fridge.

Guest RustyKnee

Thanks Guys

On Aiden advice I am thinking if getting a cold frame for the yard to give them as mych sun as possible. The onlt thing is our yard is quit shaded. Our house is a terrace house the back is shaded in the morning. I will prbably get a taller trolly type cold frame with shelves to give it the widest angle of sun light. Makes my ldodgy knees life easier not having to kneel.

That is a bit dangerous though....it will give me room for a few plants an I'll spend a fortune hehe.....me and my hobbies.

Stu

• 1 year later...

This year I got seeds from the flower of one of my VFTs (self-pollinated). I did what someone reccomended eariler in this thread - treated them like an adult one. I now have quite alot of little seedlings, some with tine traps. One pot even seems to have aquired some spahgnum moss, which I read is a good sign (another has moss too, but that's a different type entirely. But that was the pot that the peanut plant appeared in, so I'm just glad some of those seeds are germinating).