Repotting Cephalotus follicularis

Guest CandymanMessiah

Guest CandymanMessiah

Hi folks

The time has come for my GF (or more specifically, ME!) to repot her adorable Ceph.

As a notorious 'plant killer' my GF has done very well; Looking after this Ceph in good health for about 8 months now.

Since the plant is now big, the time has now come to repot the beast. All the cups are filled (as they should be) with liquid, and I don't want them to be disturbed, so tipping the pot upside down I guess is a no-no.

I guess I should gently ease the plant out of its current pot - might be difficult.

If anyone could offer advice about how to repot, and perhaps the substrate to use, I would be most grateful. I was intending to use my usual 50/50 peat and sharp sand mix.

All the best

Christian

Guest nick_99

Hi,

I've got two Cephs. As I got them from another grower via mail. I knew that Ceph hate being disturbed & repotted I tried to be as careful as possible.

First I took a bigger pot and placed the smaller Ceph-pot in it, then put peat/sand mix (50/50) around it till the Ceph-pot would fit perfectly into the bigger one.

Luckly the Cephs were in these plastic pots. I took a sharp knife a cut the pot carefully (only the pot not the soil!) in two halves. Because the soil was moist (not wet) nothing would fell off.

Then I placed the Ceph in the fitting hole in the bigger pot and watered it.

After all I only lost one or two pitchers (out of ten or so). It took the plant about one or two month till new growpoints came up but now the plants are healthy and pitchering more and more.

Nico

BTW It might be difficult to open a clay pot someone told me to use carefully a small chisel and hammer. Haven't tried this till now...

Guest Sheila

My ceph is too big for its little pot now so I am also going to be repotting it, hopefully without disturbing the roots. My ceph came potted in pure sphagnum moss in March this year and has grown extremely well. I am considering using pure sphagnum when I repot it but none of the books suggest it as a good growing medium by itself. Does anyone else grow mature sized cephs in pure sphagnum, or would I be better using peat and sand?

I repotted my 'ceph in the early summer with great success, I found this method worked well. I tipped the pot upside down and gently removed the soil, the roots were very short as it was just coming into summer growth and the plant was quite small, with only about three pitchers on.

I had pre mixed up a peat/perlite of about 70/30 ratio and some sharp sand added roughly. I then Filled the (large as possible) pot and placed plant on top and with care firmed it down.

I think that now may not be the best time to start disturbing the roots, and it might be best left 'till the spring. Also the large pot will really help with the size of the pitchers. I have seen huge traps from plants that are in giant pots so I think bigger the better!

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me.

Regards

Alex :(

I'm going to be repotting my ceph next year and I'll be cutting the pot so as not to disturb the plant. I've used a 50/50 peat sand mix which works well for me.

At the moment my ceph is in a 6" pot but I'm thinking of potting it into a bucket when the time comes.

It didn't take long for my ceph which was in a 3" pot to outgrow the 6" pot. About 1 1/2 years.

Here is a great website about cephs http://www.cephalotus.info/

For some reason, i love to repot cephs. I always have the hope that they will grow bigger and stronger. No doubt that this is a slow growing plant, but it is worthwhile the wait!!

I don't usually place the smaller pot inside the big one. What i do is to remove as much soil around the roots with the whole plant and place it in a hole made in the new media which fit the amount of soil taken from the smaller pot. It work great for me.

Lately, i have been overlaying the sphagnum moss on top of the sand, perlite, peat moss mix to increase relative humidity. I think they love it because they are growing new leaves.

Agustin