Cristalina, Goiás state, Brazil

Hello guys,

In March 8 and 9, Daniel Massamu and I went to Cristalina, Goiás state, obviously to see some CPs. :wink:

Cristalina is a very nice region for Carnivorous plants with a nice diversity, amazing species and wonderfull forms. Unfortunately we hadn’t enough time to see some species that we wanted as D. hirtella var. lutescens, D. sp. ‘White Hirtella’, U. nigrescens and G. aurea flowers but the plants we could see made our weekend stuning! And it was the last before the beginning of the classes on the University. We went to school with high spirit!

It was the sky when we were come backing home.

CudeCristalina.jpg

This is a very famous bird in our Region called Carcará (Polyborus plancus).

Carcar9FazMontSerrat.jpg

Carcar5FazMontSerrat.jpg

It’s one of the bigger bird species in Central Brazil, usually 45-55cm tall.

Carcar2FazMontSerrat.jpg

When we were arriving on the City, we stoped to see an interesting site. The first interesting plants we saw were a nice population of Mimosa pudica.

Mimosas1.jpg

I think everybody know this species. It closes the leaves and turns down when you touch. Very nice!

Mimosas4.jpg

Edited by vitor b.

The first CP of our trip was the D. hirtella var. hirtella, but unfortunately it’s huge flowerstalk weren’t formed yet.

Dhirtella1Posto.jpg

Dhirtella4Posto.jpg

Some plants growing covered by the grass.

Dhirtella5Posto.jpg

Growing with them, were a few U. subulata and this Genlisea. It seems to be the same G. pygmaea that we saw in Chapada dos Veadeiros.

Gpygmaea1.jpg

Gpygmaea2.jpg

And we could observe the rosettes were forming the muscilage usually found in the G. aurea. Fernando R. and Andreas F. are discussing about it in last topic of Chapada dos Veadeiros.

Gpygmaea3.jpg

These are some G. aurea found in about 16 Km from this place.

DSCN4779.jpg

(Picture took in Dec/15/2007)

Quite different from the first, isn’t it?

DSCN4692.jpg

(Picture took in Dec/15/2007)

After this place we drove more 15 Km to a Farm.

Unfortunately rained a lot after the Lunch and we only could look for CPs in the afternoon…

We walked quickly for some nice habitats where we saw U. nana, D. communis, G. repens, a small white form of U. amethystina, U. hispida, U. cucculata but we couldn’t take good pictures because we hadn’t much time and the light wasn’t good.

The only pic that I could post is of this U. hispida. A nice white, purple veined form.

Uhispida1Buritizal.jpg

In the next day we woke up early and went to a place called Bruzundunga. You already know it from the topic ‘Swimming with Genlisea’. In a place of about 20m² we found: D. communis, D. grantsaui, G. guianensis, G. repens, G. aurea, U. tricolor, U. olivacea, U. hispida, U. nana, U. neottioides, U. cucculata and

U. spp.

UsppBruzundunga3.jpg

Could anybody ID?

UsppBruzundunga.jpg

The U. neottioides was growing in two small populations. The first hadn’t much water movement wich was only recycling the water.

Uneottioides3Bruzundunga.jpg

Uneottioides5Bruzundunga.jpg

The tiny flowers.

Uneottioides4Bruzundunga.jpg

And the second population was growing in a little waterfall. It was very nice!

Uneottioides10Bruzundunga.jpg

I never found the fruits of this species. Does anybody have info about it?

U. tricolor is very spread in this area and for me it’s one of the most beautiful forms of this species I’ve seen.

Utricolor6Bruzundunga.jpg

Utricolor4Bruzundunga.jpg

Utricolor2Bruzundunga.jpg

Three Flowers!

DSCN4835.jpg

(Dec/15/2007)

Daniel Massamu wasn’t feeling good on Friday night and called me to cancel the trip. I was a little disappointed but I couldn’t give up because I was going to visit my Grandfather and wanted to relax before the school beginning so I went only with my Mother. When we were driving near to Massamu’s house, my Mom remembered the we need to fix the step tire. I stopped in a Tire Store and was waiting the guys to finish the job when I decided try to call Daniel one last time. He got the phone with a weak voice but said he was feeling a little better. That was my last chance to get company to look for CPs and fortunately he decided to go! That was very nice because when we were on Bruzundunga, I was sure that I couldn’t found any flower of G. guianensis and if I was alone I wouldn’t look for this species. But as he was there we needed to look for them to show him and we could see nice flowers of this amazing species! For me it was the best part of the trip because I wasn’t expecting this!

Gguianensis4Brunzundunga.jpg

Gguianensis7Brunzundunga.jpg

Gguianensis3Brunzundunga.jpg

Gguianensis13Brunzundunga.jpg

And the last species: Drosera grantsaui

For my taste, this is the most beautiful Drosera of Goiás state. It’s rosette is unique in this region, growing up from the bottom with the long leaves and huge glandular hair alike a D. scorpioides. I’ll post some pictures from my trip on Dec/15/2007 too.

DSCN4832.jpg

(Dec/15/2007)

Dgrantsaui3Bruzundunga.jpg

Dgrantsaui7Bruzundunga.jpg

DSCN4813.jpg

(Dec/15/2007)

DSCN4816.jpg

(Dec/15/2007)

Dgrantsaui9Bruzundunga.jpg

DSCN4827.jpg

These Huge plants grew up more than 11 cm!

DSCN4810.jpg

(Dec/15/2007)

That was the biggest I’ve seen until this. It was about 13 cm!!!

Dgrantsaui2Bruzundunga.jpg

It was a very nice trip for us and I hope you enjoyed!

Kind regards,

Vitor B.

Edited by vitor b.

Hello Andreas,

Thank you! This place is really fantastic! I'll go there again in the next months to look for the other species we couldn't see this time. I hope to have more nice pics in some weeks!

Kind regards,

Vitor B.

PS.: How are going your D. chrysolepis? :woot:

Hello Vitor!!!

Wow, great pics, lovely plants, I'm so envious! :) I've got tons of questions for you...

The first picture of D.hirtella var.hirtella: you did notice that there are Genlisea leaves growing around it right? :) Maybe it's G.pygmaea (rounded leaves on upper right side of the picture). Were these growing in the same area as the M.pudica above (that is, a new area that we did not explore together)?

Although the flower is a bit different, I think the 1st Genlisea is truly the same as the tuberous G.pygmaea we found at Cristalina and at the Chap.Veadeiros.

So the place where we found the G.guianensis is called Bruzundunga? It would be cool to find a new species of CP there, just so we could name it U.bruzundungaensis, G.bruzundungaensis or D.bruzundungaensis, hahahaha!

The 1st yellow Utric you show does seem to be U.trichophylla. Was this growing on the sides of that hole where we found G.guianensis? Did you find that other strange yellow-flowered Utric with long scapes (which we unfortunately didn't pay much attention to when we were there last year...)?

Why were you so sure you weren't gonna find G.guianensis in flower? I sure don't know when the flowering season is for this species, neither in Brazil nor in Venezuela, hehehe! Hopefully you'll make herbarium specimens from your ranch every time you see them in flower -- this way other botanist will know when this species is found in flower south of the Amazon! Right?? ;)

Good luck on your explorations over the next few months! If I were living in Brasília like you, I'd go exploring somewhere (anywhere!) every single weekend until June/July, hahahaha! :) This is the best time of year for CPs in central Brazil!!!

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. Don't forget that D.cayennensis is probably still flowering now, but will be finished soon and then they'll disappear completely for the season! Go look for it before it's too late!!! :)

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

Hello Andreas,

I don't remember seeing U.pubescens in that area, but I do remember that this G.pygmaea does not always form nice little rosettes, the leaves are often few and a little spread out. So when you have several neighboring plants it may look like a Utric carpet.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Hello Fernando,

Wow, great pics, lovely plants, I'm so envious! :) I've got tons of questions for you...

Thank you! And There's no problem about the questions.

Were these growing in the same area as the M.pudica above (that is, a new area that we did not explore together)?

This is the place beside to the Gas Station in the entering of the City. Do you remember?

So the place where we found the G.guianensis is called Bruzundunga? It would be cool to find a new species of CP there, just so we could name it U.bruzundungaensis, G.bruzundungaensis or D.bruzundungaensis, hahahaha!

It would be cool? We need to talk privately. :cool:

Hehehe, Just kidding

The 1st yellow Utric you show does seem to be U.trichophylla. Was this growing on the sides of that hole where we found G.guianensis? Did you find that other strange yellow-flowered Utric with long scapes (which we unfortunately didn't pay much attention to when we were there last year...)?

The U. trichophylla? was growing there and in several other places.

I don't remember this species you're talking...

Why were you so sure you weren't gonna find G.guianensis in flower?

It really was a bad mistake. I was sure because I went there other times and didn't see any flower; and when we were there in June there were loooots of fruits and not so many flowers. So I thought it was beggining to flower only in May+or-.

A begginer mistake, Sorry.

Good luck on your explorations over the next few months! If I were living in Brasília like you, I'd go exploring somewhere (anywhere!) every single weekend until June/July, hahahaha! :) This is the best time of year for CPs in central Brazil!!!

I'm trying to do it!

Don't forget that D.cayennensis is probably still flowering now, but will be finished soon and then they'll disappear completely for the season! Go look for it before it's too late!!! :)

Don't worry. :wink:

Kind regards,

Vitor B.

Hello guys,

Here is another picture of the G. pygmaea. It's better to see the mucilage.

Gpygmaea4.jpg

I think U. pubescens couldn't grow in that place because it isn't so wet on the Dry season.

Kind regards,

Vitor B.

Edited by vitor b.

Hi Vitor,

must have been a fantastic trip. :wink:

Nice pictures from the natural habitat, i like the bird too. :cool:

Most i like the Drosera.

I can´t expect the pictures of the following trips you will do.

Good luck with the first classes on the University . :sad:

Best regards,

Dani

Very nice Vitor :wink:

I like the U. neottioides in particular, esp. the first shot, reminds me of a sight of Ranunculus fluitans somehow. A species I haven't seen so often!

And once again very interesting to see the U. tricolor stalks supporting on the grasses.

Thanks very much for this great report and regards

Martin