hardy drosera?

sam2809

Filiformis filiformis has been OK for me in the West Midlands. I have also grown capensis and binata T form & multifida outside all year around but I would always recomend keeping some spare plants (especially of multifida, which will be killed by very cold weather in my experience) somewhere warmer just in case. DD arcturi and linearis are also supposed to be fully hardy but are difficult to find and reputed to be just as difficult to grow. There are also some nice hybrids that are hardy in the UK, especially rotundifolia x intermedia, rotundifolia x anglica and intermedia x filiformis ssp. filiformis.

I have some Spathulata 'Kansai' that have just about made it through the winter, although they look pretty miserable right now. Particularly as some birds have been rooting around in the tub they are in. Not sure how they would do further North though.

• 1 month later...

To verify what Greg Allen said, try to get some D. x hybrida plants. They are a wonderful looking plant which (for me) forms a dormant resting bud in the winter.

The reason why D. linearis is reputed to be so difficult is because it's difficult to give the plants it's complete dormancy requirements. It requires about 6 months of a growing season followed by 6 months of rest. During the rest period it needs to spend much of the time thoroughly below the freezing mark, or so I've heard, in order to come back healthy the next year.

If you get some freezing weather during the winter down there, then it should make it just fine outside. If not, then do it the artificial way, place the pots in the refrigerator for a few months, then the freezer for another few months, then back in the refrigerator for the rest of dormancy. Wierd I know, but it is a good way to mimic it's natuiral dormancy requirements. I'm just repeating what I've read.

WND

Guest Tamlin Dawnstar

A note regarding Drosera linearis for any lucky enough to acquire it: I have head that freezing the entire plant in a chunk of ice and keeping it so until spring is an effective way to maintain dormancy and forestall the dangers of crown rot. I have yet to experiment along these lines.

I imagine that D. stenopetala and D. arcturi would like English winters. I think Vic cultivates these with success outside. Possibly D. pygmaea would be a candidate too, esp. the New Zealand form. Drosera uniflora would also respond to this culture.

I can back up filiformis being totally hardy here in Shropshire, I would expect most hibernacula forming species to do so. I have had good experince of Drosera binata forms surviving well outside here